F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Riding on a bad CCT

Old 08-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Riding on a bad CCT

What would the tool to re-install the CCTL have anything to do with causing improper chain tension?

Old 08-06-2008, 10:34 AM
WOT

ORIGINAL: 93_ka24det

i dont have to to argue but with past engine problem i would have to agree everyone that has had major problems have had stretched timing chains, therefore the cctl is only extended enough for stock chain length. or possibly the cct is worn down causing slack in the chain. the cctl does rattle but the damage would be caused by improper chain tension. which with the ****ty design of the tool used to re-install the cctl could have something to do with it also
What tool... you mean the retaining pin that you pull out once you have everything bolted up?

I just replaced my CCTL with another OE CCTL. The stock one I took out looks fine and as stated previously, the rattle is most likely just the internals and has no effect on tension. It's just noise!

Old 08-09-2008, 11:29 PM

ORIGINAL: WOT

ORIGINAL: 93_ka24det

i dont have to to argue but with past engine problem i would have to agree everyone that has had major problems have had stretched timing chains, therefore the cctl is only extended enough for stock chain length. or possibly the cct is worn down causing slack in the chain. the cctl does rattle but the damage would be caused by improper chain tension. which with the ****ty design of the tool used to re-install the cctl could have something to do with it also
What tool... you mean the retaining pin that you pull out once you have everything bolted up?

I just replaced my CCTL with another OE CCTL. The stock one I took out looks fine and as stated previously, the rattle is most likely just the internals and has no effect on tension. It's just noise!
Yup....it is just noise, it has nothing to do with chain tension...the CCTL is doing its job just fine besides the annoying noise it makes...

Old 08-11-2008, 01:02 PM

So is the picture being shown correct or not? From what I've read it looks like the MAJORITY of people who replace their "CCT" are really replacing their CCTL they just didn't know thats what It's called.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:45 PM
WOT

Yes, this is correct, it's the CCTL that is rattling.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:16 AM

I heard the CCTL has an "updated" OEM version a few years back. Does anybody know the product #?

Old 07-13-2010, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Triumph
I heard the CCTL has an "updated" OEM version a few years back. Does anybody know the product #?
The part number is (14520-MBW-J24).

I asked in the CCTL thread if anybody knew when this revision came out but never got an answer.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:55 PM

I'm not trying to get involved in any kind of debate over ACCT, CCT, or CCTL. All I know is my 2006 f4i has well over 47,000 miles with the original factory installed parts. My 2001 f4i had well over 70,000 miles, likewise with stock original parts. Obviously, your experiences may be different than mine, but I wouldn't be all that concerned about it. I must add that I do try to avoid riding in that rpm range where the noise occurs. Riding in the neighborhood where I live I shift before the noise starts. When I get to a road that allows a higher speed I shift at high enough rpm so that the engine doesn't drop into that noisy rpm range.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:27 PM

Sorry for coming off as ignorant as I know there are a ba-zillion threads on this (and I’ve read em all) but is the CCT(L) chatter noise rpm range different on each’s individual bike? Meaning do different people get different rpm ranges when this chatter occurs? I had always thought/read it was around 5 and 6k rpm? Mine chatters around 2500-4k rpm then goes away. I actually was unsure if it was indeed the CCT(L) as I was sure it was the V shaped plastic behind my front wheel that was vibrating bc I’m missing a few screws.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:31 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DBEAU
The part number is (14520-MBW-J24).

I asked in the CCTL thread if anybody knew when this revision came out but never got an answer.
Sometime after 2006 but thats the best I can do. My 06 finally went out at 32,000 and it was a J23

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Riding on a bad CCT