F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Riding on a bad CCT

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Riding on a bad CCT

why are you replacing the CCT?
if it's the chattering sound you hear, you need to replace the cctl.
you ordered the wrong part...one you need to take off the head to replace, the other you don't (but still a pain to replace).
because of all people naming it whatever they please, you've ordered the wrong part.

you need cctl and not cct...if it's that annoying rattle you're trying to get rid of...or you can order a manaul cctl (from APE)...but you need to adjust that yourself...even more pita.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, help me out here (this is a legitimate question)

If the lifter puts pressure on the tensioner, doesn't it have a max range that it canmove and at that point the chain is out of spec?

If the above poster replaces the CCTL as Tohoe suggests, wouldn't the wear of the CCT allow too much slack on the chain, causing the lifter to do it's job and extend to where the original one was (minus the normal wear)? Wouldn't it be better to replace the CCT, CCTL and chain?

Old 03-27-2008, 11:38 AM

well...if you did your valves and checked the slack on the chain you'll see that it's not going anywhere, even with a noisy cctl. as for replacing the cct...or cam chain...those usually don't need replacing until much later...so i would assume that those are not the items needing replacement unless they are faulty.

like cars, you cam change the cam chain for a lon g long time...

Old 03-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think the poster ordered the right part, because he said it only cost $50.
i dont know alot about this, but isnt the actual CCT expensive... while the CCTl is only like 50 bucks?
so he may have said he wanted a CCT... but he in fact still ordered a CCTL is maybe what happened.... no sure unless the CCT is only $50?

Old 03-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

well...if you did your valves and checked the slack on the chain you'll see that it's not going anywhere, even with a noisy cctl. as for replacing the cct...or cam chain...those usually don't need replacing until much later...so i would assume that those are not the items needing replacement unless they are faulty.

like cars, you cam change the cam chain for a lon g long time...
I had a dealer do my valves 9k ago. Shouldn't they have checked that as part of the service?

Old 03-27-2008, 01:37 PM

IDK mang...i don't think it's something that they 'check'...but rather assume that it's ok.

cct is like 38 bucks, cctl is like 50 bucks.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:56 PM

Well I got the bike fixed, and it was the cam chain tensioner. Honda installed a new one and the bike is running beautifully. The rattling noise is totally gone, hopefully for good. Thank you all again for your help.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:04 PM

cam chain tensioner OR cam chain tensioner lifter?

Old 03-30-2008, 05:09 PM

I replaced the CAM CHAIN TENSIONER. I specifically asked the service guy because of the controversy in this forum. It's also listed as the tensioner on the service receipt they issued me.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:47 PM

I'll be the first to admit, when I first learned of the whole debate dealing with the CCT/CCTL, I was definitely confused, and did not realize there was a difference. Once I looked into what Tahoe was saying, I realized he was right as rain. I know this definitely cleared up things for me. Maybe it will help others so that we all are on the same page when we use terminology (I'm definitely guilty of not stating things correctly and clearly all the time) It finally makes sense to me why each part is called what it is lol

Quick Reply: Riding on a bad CCT