F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

To rebuild or sell? 01 600f4i

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 07:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default To rebuild or sell? 01 600f4i

Previous owner of an f4i. Sold my cbr 10 months ago and been yurning to get one back. So I found this 01 for the cost of a trade. Traded a nice xd 9mm pistol for this bike. We'll. it needs front cowl and head light. Upper fairing stays. Left and right fairing. Mirrors. Brakes front and back. Clip ons. Fork seals. Turn signals. Air rams and air intake tubes. Front sprocket cover. The engine runs like a top. Only 12k miles on her. Already placed over 100 miles on her in 2 days so I know she runs great. So what do you all think? Spend the time over the next few months rebuilding or part out?

Attached Thumbnails To rebuild or sell? 01 600f4i-image.jpg  
Old 04-24-2014, 08:20 PM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am pretty sure you have a 04-06 model. They came with that seat. They also came with that aluminum frame (Polished not black). I suppose he could have had the frame polished and put on a later model rear cowl but I dont see why personally but you never know. Are the vin stickers and manufacture date still on it? Because I dont see it on that side of the frame, unless its in the glare. Either way. You got 600-700 minimum to get her back to close to stock with whats missing and if you want to put her back to original glory. Thats my tally with what I counted up priced either new or from ebay. I have bought or priced most of those parts in the past 3 months so its fairly accurate. How are the tires? Something to think about. Chain and sprocket? You are gonna wanna service it as well, theres another 50 at least for all the fluids. 50 for the plugs. Now you are up to 800. Its up to you if you wanna put that kinda money into it. Good thing is you should be able to get 2 grand or a little more in top condition. 12k is pretty low so I reckon you could get a decent dollar or have a nice bike to ride.

Last edited by PossibleOne; 04-24-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:00 PM

The tires are in decent shape. Prolly 75% tread left. The po was riding it before he traded me. I just did oil change earlier today. Chain and sprocket appear to be new or newish. They sure are shiny to be old. The vin matches to the title. No sticker in frame. But on steering stem head the stamp numbers matches up. Title states it is an 2001 cbr 600f4i. Under the seat it says cbr600f45 then under that body style rc

So is. Mine the super late 2000 model marked as 2001? From what I read 99 and 2000 had banana seats. Which I will keep on for now. Until I get tired if the look.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:22 PM

Oh also. What do ha recommend to clean the funk off the engine? Looks as if the inners have never been cleaned. I see this bike will take some work but at same time will shine in its full glory when I finish. While I am at it rebuilding her any ideas of what I should add. Stay stock? Or go all out and customize her? Either route I take it will take time and same amount of cash to rebuild.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:44 PM
Welcome Crew Technician

Originally Posted by Taw1985
The tires are in decent shape. Prolly 75% tread left. The po was riding it before he traded me. I just did oil change earlier today. Chain and sprocket appear to be new or newish. They sure are shiny to be old. The vin matches to the title. No sticker in frame. But on steering stem head the stamp numbers matches up. Title states it is an 2001 cbr 600f4i. Under the seat it says cbr600f45 then under that body style rc

So is. Mine the super late 2000 model marked as 2001? From what I read 99 and 2000 had banana seats. Which I will keep on for now. Until I get tired if the look.
Yea, and the F4 was the banana seat you are right. I am not sure. Do you have a petcock where you turn the fuel on the side? I mean the title is the title. Mistakes do get made. But if you have the petcock then its the 99-2000 model. If you dont have it the you must have a 2001 with a later model, or earlier model rear cowl. Maybe the PO put that on because he wanted the banana seat. To each their own. What is the 10th digit of the VIN? That will tell you the exact year and let you know what you have to bring it back to.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild!!!!

Got mine same way, in a trade. Man was she ugly!!! But the motor ran like a top. I put about $1200 in parts on mine and it came out pretty good. The parts are very reasonable in price and you can find everything on feebay even new. Also everything was pretty simple & self explanatory to get back together. Bike is also easy to maintain as far as removing rims for tires, oil changes, air filter, battery, brake pads ect. By far easiest I've owned. I rode mine today and was glad i built it every second of it. Nothing connects you to a machine like building it yourself. Also, good to know everything was done and done right (cause you did it) when your flying along at 100mph plus. Good project for sure bud...

Old 04-24-2014, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by PossibleF4I
Yea, and the F4 was the banana seat you are right. I am not sure. Do you have a petcock where you turn the fuel on the side? I mean the title is the title. Mistakes do get made. But if you have the petcock then its the 99-2000 model. If you dont have it the you must have a 2001 with a later model, or earlier model rear cowl. Maybe the PO put that on because he wanted the banana seat. To each their own. What is the 10th digit of the VIN? That will tell you the exact year and let you know what you have to bring it back to.
No petcock. She's fuel injected for sure. The 10th digit of vin is "1". Just used a vin decoder. Apparently it is an 2001. Digits 4-7 are pc35 which list as cbr600f and the 10th digit indicates it is an 2001 model. Just examined the bike again. Thank god the po did not destroy the wire harness up front with the crappy dome light. But he did bypass the bank angle sensor. I'm not replacing the sensor. She runs without it so I'm let it be. I will be taking pictures of parts I get and the progress. Once I get enough parts I will create a project rebuild thread for everyone to follow. Right now I am brain storming if I should go stock or make it a decent looking street fighter.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:36 AM
Welcome Crew Technician

Right on. Figured as much. If you do go stock, and you are in the position to drop the motor and stuff like that. The frame and swingarm all came in black. Maybe metallic black, you'd have to look the exact color code but yea, something small. So long as she runs strong then you could easily spend the next months saving and acquiring parts. I did the same thing. I spent the past 4 months on mine and got it for a good deal like you. Not 100% done yet but who ever is lol. Anyway, about 800 later and she turned out good. I wont hijack ur thread but you can see. Good luck with her.

Last edited by PossibleOne; 04-26-2014 at 04:19 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:24 PM

Update: just received free mirrors , headlight and clip ons. Now to get upper fairing stay and cowl and fork seals and were rideable!!

Old 04-25-2014, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck with the build/rebuild!

Quick Reply: To rebuild or sell? 01 600f4i