F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Question: Erratic Idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question: Erratic Idle

Heya guys. My FPR seems to have gone recently, since riding the other day left my bike surging around (The whole "Bwaa bwaa bwaa" type ****), which was worse than the day prior to. Small throttle openings were especially bad, so I got a new FPR and installed it today, and the problem has vanished.

I unplugged the battery because on my FZ6 you used to do it, and the ECU would lose the fuel maps and reprogram itself after a bit of riding - sometimes removing quirks from the maps. That being said, it rides like normal with the replacement (even though my FPR looked fine - gasket too) but still has a sort of loopy all over fast idle, and then periodically wonky regular idle once it's warmed up. When I've been riding for a while and come to a stop, sometimes it sits towards 2000 and bounces a bit, other times 1500, or sometimes 2000 until it settles to 1500 for no reason. I have a Hindle exhaust, only leaving the precats on, and no O2 sensor from what I can tell.

Have any of you guys had this issue? Any solutions? I'm going to check my battery voltage tomorrow just to be safe. There's also mild popping while at lower RPMs and trying to cruise, but my last bike did this so I don't believe it to be indicative of anything really problematic.

Thanks!

Old 05-22-2016, 01:01 PM

Not that anybody seems to reply but, I just noticed this morning that when the bike is off and in neutral, letting my clutch out makes some springy, rattling noise. Seems to work fine otherwise, and isn't noisy or anything while riding.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:59 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

What are pre-cats?
Per the other thread on here, check your ignition coils for problems. Otherwise the only thing that affects idle rpm is the waxing unit that only brings up the idle in the cold, perhaps its adjusting when it shouldn't?

Old 05-28-2016, 04:06 AM
Default Hello

I agree. Check your ignition coils and plugs. Also I'd check your air filter. If it persists I'd check the air and fuel ratios. If those seem good maybe there is a bad gasket or something letting air in. My 350 warrior acted funny when it had an air leak. Sorry if my info leads to nothing but dead ends. I'm just saying what I would do in that case.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
What are pre-cats?
Per the other thread on here, check your ignition coils for problems. Otherwise the only thing that affects idle rpm is the waxing unit that only brings up the idle in the cold, perhaps its adjusting when it shouldn't?
Originally Posted by Sam Scaife
I agree. Check your ignition coils and plugs. Also I'd check your air filter. If it persists I'd check the air and fuel ratios. If those seem good maybe there is a bad gasket or something letting air in. My 350 warrior acted funny when it had an air leak. Sorry if my info leads to nothing but dead ends. I'm just saying what I would do in that case.
Will do. I've found more recently that the bolts on my battery like to vibe loose, and that's been causing issues. Tightening them seems to alleviate it for a while, but then the inevitable happens. I'll look into what you guys said- thanks!