F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Dark Blue Pearl Paint Completed on my F4i!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dark Blue Pearl Paint Completed on my F4i!!

Just to update, I finally got my tank completed after a few days of pain and drinking gasoline and sucking it up my nostrils. Here are some pics of the finished product. The painting on the tank was not super good, but it will do. You can not tell from the distance I took the pictures, so it wont matter too much. I might decide to put on some decals on the tank so that it will cover up the messed up spots.

Before Pics.

After Pics.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:07 PM
Default RE: Dark Blue Pearl Paint Completed on my F4i!!

who painted it?

if they messed it up, they should re-do it for you

if your gonna pay for a service, it should be done right

just my .02

other than that, looks great

Old 08-10-2007, 03:08 PM

Me and a friend did it actually.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:11 PM

Looks good. I like the color.
________
EL CAMINO

Last edited by Rick619; 03-21-2011 at 03:26 AM.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:17 PM

looks, good bro ! no worries. If you don't like it yourself, you can always redo it From here, it's all good.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:25 PM

Nice man I love the color.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:31 PM

so how did you go about doing it. I have thought about doing mine but i dont really know where to start without having someone do it for me and i dont like paying ppl to do stuff.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:33 PM

by the way it looks good.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 08-10-2007, 04:05 PM

You need to find a professional auto color paint store and buy some products first. I bought a primer and thinner to mix with it I think was 2 primer to 1 thinner. I also bought the color and areducer mixture of 2:1 color to reducer. There is also the clear coat that you have to buy and a activator, the mixture is 4:1 clear coat to activator. I also bought M3 buffering compound and 80, 400, 1500 grit sandpaper. I used an HVLP gun with my 2 gallon air compressor. I bought the gun at that store for about 40 bucks.

Well, I first drained the tank by siphoning it. You cant really get all the gas out though. Be careful not to suck too much and get gas all up in your mouth like I did. Unscrew the top 2 bolts and then the bottom 2 under the seat. Lift it up and have someone unscrew the fuel injector tube. And there should be 2 other tubes and a wire clip. Once you remove those then you can take the tank off. Removing the decals on the tank were a pain in the *** for me. I used a hair dryer to try to soften the clear coat over it and tried to peel it but it would keep breaking. So then I tried using a razor blade. It took about 3-4 hours to remove all those damn wings. Im sure you could do it easier if you had the right tools. Then once you remove the decals, make sure you get all the adhesives under it out.. Maybe wipe it down with alcohol or an adhesive remover. If all the adhesive is not removed, you will see it come through when you paint. Then after that I wet sanded the tank with an 80 grit sand paper to get it smooth from the areas with the decals and also get all the clear coat off the tank. You have to set the pressure correctly on your gun and air compressor. I think 35-40 psi for the air compressor and around 8-10 psi on the gun. You really have to guesstimate and spray with water on the ground to figure out whats best. I then mixed up the primer and sprayed about 3 coats of it on with 10 minutes between each coat for it to dry.When you are shooting your coats make sure you dont let it run. Its a pain in the *** to sand if you dont spray it right and it is runny on the tank. After that wait about 20-30 minutes for it to fully dry then wet sand it with 400 grit sandpaper until it is evenly smooth. Then I mixed the base coat, sprayed about 2-3 coats on it waiting about 15 minutes between each coat. Wait about 30 minutes after the base coat and then spray the clear coat on about 4 coats with about 10-15 minutes wait between each coat. Make sure between changing different paints put some thinner in the gun and spray to clean it out. Wait about 8 hours after you have sprayed your last clear coat and wet sand with 1500 grit sandpaper. Sand it so it is super smooth, it might take a while if you want it to look really good. I was a little lazy and impatient thats probably why it didnt turn out so good. Anyways after you wet sand dry it and buff it with the M3 buffing compound with a buffer. It should then look super shiny if done correctly.

I might have to wet sand mine again and then rebuff it to make it turn out better. Everything else I did was pretty good.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:57 PM

Wow. Looks great. Good jorb.

Quick Reply: Dark Blue Pearl Paint Completed on my F4i!!