F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Motorcycle won't start while in gear with clutch squeezed

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 04:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Motorcycle won't start while in gear with clutch squeezed

Hello all,

Well, today I was cleaning my bike and trying to get a feel for it because soon will be the first time I will get on it after I went down on it a while back. Today I noticed that I can't start the bike unless I am in neutral.

I just read the owner's manual (digital copy) and it stated that I can start the engine while in gear as long as the clutch lever is pulled in. Well, when I was in first gear, I turned the bike off and pulled the clutch lever in and couldn't start the bike? I did notice this as soon as I picked up the bike from when I fell a while back but was too shaken up to think that something is wrong. Now I know something is wrong.

Does anyone know what my problem is?

Thanks for any/all help.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:16 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check the clutch switch and/or the side stand switch? Would the engine turn when the starter was pushed in, or would it not do anything at all?

Last edited by Incognito; 03-31-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you go down on the left. its sounds to me like the switch for your kickstand is broken. when you start it in nuetral and shift does it stay on or kill itself

Old 03-31-2009, 04:41 PM

Check the wiring on the clutch switch it may have come loose.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:59 PM

Thanks for the fast responses.

I don't know how to check the clutch switch or side stand switch. But my side stand seems to be working. If I have it down and in neutral, I can start the bike. If I start the bike, then put it in gear, then put the side stand down, it will kill the engine.

There is two little fuse like connectors on the clutch lever/handbar bracket and they are in securely. I don't know if that is the clutch switch.

Anyone care to share how to check the clutch switch and side stand switch?

Thanks.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:12 PM
July 2008 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is your kick stand down when you are doing this?

The F4i will automatically shut off if your kick stand is down and it is placed into gear, as a safety feature to make sure you don't go riding with your stand down. Subsequently, it will not start if the kick stand is down and it is in gear.

Since you mention that the bike dies when you put the kick stand down while in gear, that pretty much shows that the kick stand switch is working properly. Something is wrong with the clutch switch then.

Best I can recommend (if you aren't trying to start it in gear with the kickstand down, lol), is to get an owner's or repair manual that has a wiring diagram, trace the wires for the clutch switch, and see if anything got screwed up.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Aken
Is your kick stand down when you are doing this?
No.

My kickstand is up the entire time while I am trying to start the bike while it is in gear. I know that I can ride without this being fixed, but since I am still a little on the edge from going down, I would rather have it correct.

Other than the wiring for the clutch switch, is the switch itself hard to replace/repair?

Where is the clutch switch?

Thanks.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by ford_loomis
did you go down on the left. its sounds to me like the switch for your kickstand is broken. when you start it in nuetral and shift does it stay on or kill itself
I did go down on the left, but I think my kickstand is working correctly based on the information I posted above.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:25 PM

the clutch switch is right in front of the clutch lever.Should be 2 wires going to it.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:31 PM

To check the switch disconnect the wiring connectors from it.Connect the probes from an ohmmeter to the two switch terminals.With the clutch pulled in,continuity should be indicated.WIth the clutch lever out no continuity should be indicated.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle won't start while in gear with clutch squeezed