F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Left Rearset slightly bent, can it be fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 02:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left Rearset slightly bent, can it be fixed?

Hi there:
In the process of fixing my downed bike. The left rearset is slightly bent, so that dust cover cap is touching the chain slightly. I want to know if anyone had luck bending straight again. It is a pretty thick piece of metal. i have straighten brake pedal before, but never tried to straighten out a rearset.
Also what kind of tools do i need? Do you think local repair shop would provide such a service for a slight fee?

thanks

Old 10-05-2010, 02:35 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stick a prybar inbetween it and the frame or swingarm and bend it back in small incriments. Little bit at a time until its back to where it sat be4.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:51 AM

I wouldn't do that. I'd remove the piece that bent and heat it up with a torch and bend it gradually until it makes a difference.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:45 AM
Banned

To each their own. Its worked for me before. Just depend how bent it is. If its that bent, Id just buy a new one or a straight used one, personally.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by xiaoxiaog
Hi there:
In the process of fixing my downed bike. The left rearset is slightly bent, so that dust cover cap is touching the chain slightly. I want to know if anyone had luck bending straight again. It is a pretty thick piece of metal. i have straighten brake pedal before, but never tried to straighten out a rearset.
Also what kind of tools do i need? Do you think local repair shop would provide such a service for a slight fee?

thanks
Ahhh...slightly bent. Use a prybar.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:50 PM

Heat it up. but not too much, otherwise you'll just compromise the integrity. How did you do the brake pedal? I need to do it to mine

Old 10-05-2010, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Zero1080
Heat it up. but not too much, otherwise you'll just compromise the integrity. How did you do the brake pedal? I need to do it to mine
put the bent part in a vice, and clamped it till it straightened out. The brake pedal is from a ninja 250, so material maybe different then from the 600f4i.

Prybar eh? I think i will give it a shot, kinda scared of the idea of using swingarm as leverage. used ones on ebay cost 80ish...

Old 10-06-2010, 12:19 AM
Banned

I just bought some really nice rears from zmds18 on here and one of them was bent in towards the swingarm a little and I just had to pry it back into place 2day. Wrapped a rag around the prybar, put it inbetween the swingarm and the back of the rear and pryed it a bit at a time. If you bend it too much at one time, it is apt to break. You got to be careful of course. It took me 5 or 6 times to get my rear where its supposed to be. But again, in very small incriments at a time and could heat it up if you have a torch in which it would bend easier. It can be done without a torch though is ultimately my point and just did it on mine.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by OutlawF4
I just bought some really nice rears from zmds18 on here and one of them was bent in towards the swingarm a little and I just had to pry it back into place 2day. Wrapped a rag around the prybar, put it inbetween the swingarm and the back of the rear and pryed it a bit at a time. If you bend it too much at one time, it is apt to break. You got to be careful of course. It took me 5 or 6 times to get my rear where its supposed to be. But again, in very small incriments at a time and could heat it up if you have a torch in which it would bend easier. It can be done without a torch though is ultimately my point and just did it on mine.
Wow, thx for that quick response, i certainly feel much more comfortable doing this after what you said. Will give it a try tmr and i will definitely keep what you said about taking it slow in mind.

thx!

Old 10-09-2010, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by xiaoxiaog
Wow, thx for that quick response, i certainly feel much more comfortable doing this after what you said. Will give it a try tmr and i will definitely keep what you said about taking it slow in mind.

thx!
Alright, so i bought a crowbar, and pried the rearset in increments like you said. And i managed to get an 1/2 inch separation between the dust cover and the chain, i tried to straighten it out more, but it simply wouldn't go any further. Can anyone tell me the normal distance from the dust cover to the chain? Is 1/2 inch enough?

On another node, why is it sooooooo hard to find an OEM left rearset? Ebay's got none, nor does craiglist.
Can anyone tell me where i can buy a left rearset for 03 600F4i? Much appreciated.

thx

Quick Reply: Left Rearset slightly bent, can it be fixed?