F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Jerking at 4k rpm

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jerking at 4k rpm

I really hope someone can help!

At about 4,000 rpm the bike "kicks" or "jerks" and then seems to be fine. I just bought the bike and the previous owner says that all he did was clean the chain and change the oil. He said he used synthetic oil this time. Could that be it?

I wanted to try asking here before having to take it up to Honda and spending a bunch!

Thanks ahead of time!

Old 09-15-2010, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by AmyNxDx
I really hope someone can help!

At about 4,000 rpm the bike "kicks" or "jerks" and then seems to be fine. I just bought the bike and the previous owner says that all he did was clean the chain and change the oil. He said he used synthetic oil this time. Could that be it?

I wanted to try asking here before having to take it up to Honda and spending a bunch!

Thanks ahead of time!
No, synthetic oil would not make it do that. If he used synthetic oil for cars/trucks then it could hard shift...

Is the chain lubricated? You stated that the PO cleaned the chain, but did he also lube it? It is a long shot, but if the chain is worn and not lubricated it can have similar reactions.

Check the throttle and throttle cables and make sure they are not worn, sticking, etc. I would also check the clutch cable to make sure it is not worn or adjusted incorrectly and allowing the clutch to engage/disengage causing the jerking.

Good luck

Old 09-15-2010, 08:51 AM

^^^ just like blehany said check the cables and go buy some cable lube from the dealer take off your cables every once and awhile and spray some lube in there

i know on my dirtbike i have to do this from time to time or ill feel the friction of the cable both clutch and throttle ,once you get that friction feeling the next is when they snap on you

but honestly i dont see it being a cable

is it just at 4krpm or...

Old 09-15-2010, 02:33 PM

Well, Honda called back and told me what is wrong. It's the transmission. Go f'n figure. I'm pretty pissed off. Honda tech said there was no way the guy selling it to me didn't know. So basically it's at least $800 in labor, probably more.

So yay for buying my first bike.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:38 PM

sorry to hear that bro...so what are you going to do ...take it back to the guy or fix it??? either way i would be pissed

Old 09-15-2010, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by crashking
sorry to hear that bro...so what are you going to do ...take it back to the guy or fix it??? either way i would be pissed
The guy I bought it from won't take it back but he did say he would pay $400 towards getting it fixed. I guess that's better than nothing. I'm really pissed though! So about $800 to get it fixed and it will take a couple weeks. A COUPLE WEEKS!!! UGH so I finally get a license and a bike, this happens and it's almost end of the season.

I seriously want to cry!

Like I said in my other post, I want to try to stay positive. The bike has 6,600 miles or so and I paid $3,000 so add the $400-$500 part of fixing it and I'm around $3,500. I think that is still a good deal, right? I'm not exactly sure how much an '02 with low miles is worth?

Old 09-15-2010, 08:51 PM

That's not too bad if it hasn't been beat the hell. Hopefully you'll get it back on the road and get a good couple months in before snow flies. btw. you're cute....bro

Old 09-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AmyNxDx
The bike has 6,600 miles or so and I paid $3,000 so add the $400-$500 part of fixing it and I'm around $3,500. I think that is still a good deal, right? I'm not exactly sure how much an '02 with low miles is worth?
you're in the ballpark. if the body's clean it's still a decent deal. hard to believe the tranny issue doesn't have another cause tho -- low miles on a bike known for reliability? something doesn't add up.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by regener8ed
you're in the ballpark. if the body's clean it's still a decent deal. hard to believe the tranny issue doesn't have another cause tho -- low miles on a bike known for reliability? something doesn't add up.
+1 here. The type of beating I imagine to take out the tranny that quick should have shot the clutch off the bike into the next state I'd think.

And I'd also imagine there'd be more symptoms than some jerking around 4k but nothing above or below it. 2nd opinion time I'd say

Old 09-15-2010, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
+1 here. The type of beating I imagine to take out the tranny that quick should have shot the clutch off the bike into the next state I'd think.

And I'd also imagine there'd be more symptoms than some jerking around 4k but nothing above or below it. 2nd opinion time I'd say
Honda was saying the issue is usually from people who try to stunt it and just slam it through the gears. That people are typically in 2nd gear when stunting and slamming it into 3rd, without the clutch I assume, and that is why it could be that damaged.

I'm pretty bummed. I was really excited to ride. Guess I learned a lesson here...

thx Kuroshio LOL

Quick Reply: Jerking at 4k rpm