F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Jacking bike up off the ground

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jacking bike up off the ground

Is it bad to jack the bike up from the exhaust headers? I don't see anywhere else I could jack it unless I remove the exhaust every time.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should be fine with stock exhaust. Use a block to spread out the pressure point on the headers. I've also use ratchet straps to support the bike from the ceiling. Just don't use your garage door rails - they're weaker than they look.

I'll try and get something back to you tonight on the other stuff we discussed.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:50 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

On my Hurricane, I can fit a bock of wood between the exhaust, so the sump takes the weight.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:21 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Your not supposed to jack bikes, hence the lack of jack points. Use stands.

Old 11-17-2016, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jaybird180
Should be fine with stock exhaust. Use a block to spread out the pressure point on the headers.
Great. That's what I had done so I just wanted to check and see if anyone else had a reason not to.

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
Your not supposed to jack bikes, hence the lack of jack points. Use stands.
But stands hold the bike up from the forks and swingarm. Stands won't do what I need if I want to take weight off either of those to do work the suspension.

Old 11-17-2016, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by ShtBiker
Great. That's what I had done so I just wanted to check and see if anyone else had a reason not to.

But stands hold the bike up from the forks and swingarm. Stands won't do what I need if I want to take weight off either of those to do work the suspension.
If you've got a set of junk forks and extra shock, you can put those on temporarily. In your case, you have to take the weight completely off the front to get the upper and lower bridge undone from the frame. Make sure you use straps to help stabilize the bike in case of a tipover or pressure put somewhere when parts are being R&R'd.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:09 PM

Yeah I had it on the rear stand and a block under the exhaust when i started messing with the front end. If I need to do work on the rear I'll probably try to use a front stand and a block in the middle.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:11 PM

Yeah I had it on the rear stand and a block under the exhaust when i started messing with the front end. If I need to do work on the rear I'll probably try to use a front stand and a block in the middle.
You got it boss!
Don't forget straps.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:51 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

For the front they make triple tree stands for this exact reason. For the rear I've always prefered lifting via the subframe and some straps.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:54 AM

I used to have a full size wheel and tire from my 1993 Nissan Maxima that the bike fit perfectly into at the headers and lifted both ends; balanced pretty decently too. Lack of storage space and a desire to grow out of my bachelor stage prompted me to get rid of the wheel.

Quick Reply: Jacking bike up off the ground