F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Hunter. The BIG F4i Rebuild Thread (PICS! Fast internet required)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Hunter. The BIG F4i Rebuild Thread (PICS! Fast internet required)

This.....Is me.

And this is 'Hunter'
-Purchased at the dealer with 6000+ miles, exactly on the day of my birthday

Same day ready to ride for the first time, not knowing how to ride a motorcycle to save my life. Yes, yes I know...I shouldve taken the MSF course before I rode it home. But dammit, i was too eager to ride and couldnt take the anticipation

Riding home:

And first fill up

Home safe!! Woooooo

Happiest day of my life, first ever vehicle I ever owned. Last owner must have gotten into a front end crash which is why there were some scraps and the new front black cowl. But I still liked the look. Bike needed a little bit of work.
But everything worked fine, no problems whatsoever.

Now I know alot of you are like, why name your bike a boys name brrroooooo!? Your riding a boy you phaggot!!.... Truth is, I named my bike hunter not for the name, but for what I used to do when riding it. Although irresponsible, I looked for people to race from time to time, both car and bike and therefore I came up with hunter, because I would be hunting to look for someone to smoke. *Flame suit on*

Now back to thee story padres. After I got the bike, i downloaded a manual and studied it for weeks to know the ins and outs of the bike. I figured this is gonna be MY bike that I plan on keeping forever, so why not?

First oil change

Wash

And upgrades after a few months of purchased it was about that time. I also felt more comfortable with the bike.

Vortex Front/Rear sprocket. Stock gearing

Barrett Racing clutch

Chain

The last guy who had the bike must have been a big fella. I couldnt adjust the suspension for the life of me, it was REALLY stiff, so I had to change the entire suspension

I like the red look, its from the F4 model, but both are the same.

Out with the old

Installed new one, and it feels nice, and I must be hallucinating, but it feels kinda faster through turns and such when I tuned it.

Spark plugs

Coolant change

All was good. Hunter ran like a monster and I got too cocky. I felt like I was at the top of the world, riding recklessly, switching lanes in between cars. Racing when I can. I felt invincible.

Then.....it happened.
The event that brought me down to earth.

Lost control at about 90mph in a race.... End result:

Front end is done

Both rims had bent lips from the left side, sorry for not taking the pic of the back

Hunter fell on its left side, and slide several feet before stopping. Oil was everywhere and you could tell from the start that the forks were done. Stator was busted, and back tire went flat. Thanks to my friend he pushed it to my home while I was on my way to the hospital. Good thing I wrecked only a few blocks on my way from to my house.

Back from the hospital, only thing I suffered was some road rash and I fractured two fingers... you know what that means.

I felt a lil depressed, all that work, and it being my first bike I was sure it was totaled. I didnt have insurance so everything would be comming out of pocket so ARGH!! Then I started thinking about selling hunter.....it was a long grueling three days debating what I should do with it.

'Scumbag Brain'

"Sell it bro, its useless"

Me

"But brain, its my first bike, and I really want to keep it"

'Scumbag Brain'

"Lol you can get a liter bike next bro"

Me

"Okay!"

I submitted, I opened up craigslist and was ready to put Hunter up for sale for about $800 or so.

Then....it hit me

When I was about to click the "Post now" button. It hit me, and I felt a great awakening. I stood up...and I SAID

So I went outside where Hunter was waiting, know what I came to do. And I got to work. First thing I noticed was my stator cover was busted, hence the oil being everywhere at the crash scene.

Busted stator:

I checked the flywheel constantly for anything wrong. Lucky me, all was good. Checked all around the engine for any cracks or stress cracks and all was good.
[IMG][/IMG]

Apart from the oil, that was the only sustained engine damage

Now for the teardown more to come.

Last edited by Yin-Yang; 05-08-2014 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Touching up
Old 04-11-2013, 11:13 PM

Now this is where I get to work. Gathered up all my big boy tools, got my rag because it was 80+ degrees outside (sh***y hot florida weather). But first I had to do a damage assessment and see what I was going to be buying. The first thing on the agenda, was to check the frame for any dents/cracks/or it being bent. When I looked over the frame, no damage accept for small scratch on the left side

HAIL TO HONDA AND THEIR BULLETPROOF BIKES

Now for the tear down.

Removed pretty of the front end parts except for the forks and bottom triple, I kept the throttle on because I couldnt figure out how to take it apart. Took out battery and back wire harness was shot, so I removed that with the busted tail light, an also removed that p.o.s colossal exhaust.

Exhaust removed

Removed the main harness, and ecu, along with other bits and things that I cant remember now lol, but all thats left to really remove was the bent subframe and the battery tray. Which had a broken mount on the left side.

Now with the complete teardown of mostly all things that was taken off as a precaution (i.e rain) and/or needed to be replaced entirely.

Now to examine the forks.

Left side

Right side

Verdict Says....

Bent to s**t

As for my hand....

Good thing im right handed

After all is done, I roll hunter into the room since the engine side was exposed to avoid the rain, and other environmental hazards

While in there, I did a little more work, looking around the engine for anything abnormal, and also looking if I missed anything as far as cracks and stuff like that, but all checked out pretty good

Damage Assessment:

-Need entire new front end, minus calipers and MC. Bottom triple seemed okay.
-Both front/back rims bent beyond any reasonable repair.
-Subframe smashed and is unusable.
-Stator and stator cover is non-repairable.
-Battery tray needs to be replace, but can still mount
- Clutch lever bent beyond repair
-Tail light was finish
-Sub wiring was ripped apart
-Front fairing was scarped and cracks all over
-Fairing stay....forget about it.
-Front fender is finished
-Ignition was scraped pretty badly and broken tabs. But still worked
-Side fairings were rashed and bad to begin with, but now their just useless
-Tail fairing was non-existent
-Grab rail was nowhere to be found
-Missing bolts and such I lost when taking everything apart.

That yellow wrecked bike you see in some of the other pictures, that's a whole another story, but onward to the rebuild process!

Last edited by Yin-Yang; 04-12-2013 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Adding some moar stufffff
Old 04-11-2013, 11:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well you got your hand full

Btw, that's a 2006 F4i.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:56 PM

Lol I wish, if you look closely at some of the pics that show the vin, you can see the '2004'

Unless your talking about the yellow bike, thats a kawasaki lol

Old 04-11-2013, 11:59 PM

As long as you're okay. did you happen to be wearing any protective gear?

Old 04-12-2013, 12:03 AM

Im good, I had a road rash on my booty, and I couldn't sit right for weeks until it healed. I normally 'used' wear a vest and gloves, with a helmet and i was good, but yeah...a jacket would have saved me some skin

Old 04-12-2013, 12:26 AM

i bought a salvage bike for 800ish dollars. the rebuild was hard but incredibly rewarding. you also learn a lot messing around with things. good luck! it's not cheap

Old 04-12-2013, 12:34 AM
Thumbs up Building Process

It's 1am now, but I got a little life in me to post a few more things before I hit the shack. To my surprising, alot of things were saved during a crash like that. For instance, my rear sets and whole shifter couldve been ripped apart, my tank couldve been busted open. My headlights came out without no damage except for light scratches, and the speedometer. Which is the most expensive piece of electronic you can buy for this bike, I was happy for that one lol. Oh and also the seat lol

I only have a pic of the headlight, which I sold at the time, to get a little extra molah.

Which I did manage to sale for about 70 bucks lol. Didnt know if it still worked or not, but the guy didnt seem to care what condition it was in.

For my first part, I purchased this stator/cover combo from fleabay for about $50 bucks, he had a obo and it was originally for $100 lol. I had to pay $15 dollar shipping but w.e

Along with some grips and barends that I didnt take pics of, but youll see em in future pics.

After those, I couldnt bare to see hunter look like half a bike, so I had to get a subframe. And guess how much I got this on fleabay? $65 bucks free shipping

Downside, it was shipped by Ups, and I HATE Ups! Why? They tend to ship my s**t at the end of the very day, normally around 7-9pm and im a bit of an impatient person so Id sit cradling on the floor like a mental patient until it comes, then I usually open the door and run to their truck like a kid running to the ice cream truck.

So I finally got my subframe and couldnt wait till morning to install it. Its a pain, trust me. Especially in the close quarters of my room lol

As you can see, I put that nasty stock exhaust on since slip ons were going for so much, by this time I was suffering from riding withdrawals, so I wanted to get back on the road as soon as possible

Then I waited till morning to add a little bit of other stuff that I had taken off, like adding back the wire harness and ecu, putting on the left clip on and controls. Also the top triple, and having the gauge dangling.

Also put the battery back in, at that time I can turn the key and hunter would turn on, no prime or anything. Just turn on. That same day, I shed a tear....cause I knew, hunter was coming back

Posting moar later today

Last edited by Yin-Yang; 04-12-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by cam and corona
i bought a salvage bike for 800ish dollars. the rebuild was hard but incredibly rewarding. you also learn a lot messing around with things. good luck! it's not cheap
Tell me about it brother lol, but you never lie. It is really rewarding. I can pretty much dissemble and resemble this entire bike from scratch now, apart from the engine anywho

Old 04-12-2013, 05:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yin-Yang
Lol I wish, if you look closely at some of the pics that show the vin, you can see the '2004'

Unless your talking about the yellow bike, thats a kawasaki lol
Meh... actually now I look at it with coffee brewed I dunno what it is. 04-06 f4i should have a black frame. The banana seat definitely makes it 04-06. But the blue fairing is why i said 06

Quick Reply: Hunter. The BIG F4i Rebuild Thread (PICS! Fast internet required)