F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

HELP please! Headlight wiring to F4 harness.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tracing wires can be a pain in the *****.. I'd just buy a couple of cheap relays & do it from scratch. Do you have a multimeter? If not, one can be had for less than $10. Use it to find the two signal wires you need (one that's hot when the bike is on, & one that's hot when you flip on the high beam) & then wire the relays directly to the battery. You could probably even reuse the stock relay(s).

Old 08-21-2012, 10:28 PM

Alrighty. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction... Looking at the wiring diagrams it all seems pretty easy.. you shouldn't of need to cut into the wires that close to the plugs....

now you have three wires for the F4 head light
(just using colors doesn't means theses are the right colors)

Green-Ground
Blue-Low beam
Blue white-High bream

on the f4 blub you have 3 prongs.

on the f4i

one is a ground. then you have a tab left on each one of the light bulbs because they are 2 prongs.

the left side is low beam (blue)

the right side is high (blue white)

bypass the f4i wire harness and use the original f4 as a test. if your dead set on using the f4i harness be ready to use a volt meter and trouble shoot it.

do video and more pics.

"Data data data I cannot make bricks with out clay:

Old 08-22-2012, 11:26 AM

Well looks like I'll just run the low beam for now. I'll worry about it later.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:57 PM

Hey man i dont know if you miss understood me. Don't cut the red/black wire in half. I simply meant splice the wire into the black and red wire. Like i stripped the casing around the wire and attached the new wire to it and then soldered it to the wire and heat shrink wrapped it. Let me know if this helps. Also if you have problems hot me up at ddavis17@gmail.com and ill give you me cellphone number. I will be happy to help.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:59 PM

Basically what i did was use the F4i harness just for the headlight connectors since they use different bulbs. I hacked the connectors and the relay off the f4i harness and soldered them to the f4 harness using heat shrink with solder rings in them. Its fairly easy. Maybe i need to clarify the tutorial a little better.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:54 PM

Sorry man, i got everything you said to get in your tutorial, matched up the wires, but i've got extra wires that i do not know where they go.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:22 PM

just a heads up ddavis17, projekt aurora is right around the corner! im gonna have my full f4i harness shortly and im hoping you dont disappear anytime soon lol. im noticing lots of people saying theyve gotten all the tools and mats needed but still get stuck somewhere in the middle of the wire party. but anyway as far as the how-to you wrote, are they still holding up well? no frequent bulb burnouts or battery drain? (especially the battery drain cause i hear that you wanna make sure the charging system is fit for it, hopefully you can confirm that it is)