F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Front BRAKE LOCK UP

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Front BRAKE LOCK UP

SO I FINALLY get it all back together and i go down the rd 300 yrds get to the first time i touch the breaks and they lock up what do i do i opened the bleeder valves so it would release and i road it back to the house. on a hapier note the frame sliders worked pretty wel only min damage nothing a sanding and paint cant fix

Old 04-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so when the brake lever is released, the brake pistons are still engaging?

Old 04-16-2012, 09:46 PM

If the bike has sat around, or the brake fluid is dirty and dark looking, you should flush the system out. If the pistons on the calipers are dirty or rusting up you should get some new calipers.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Registered Users
Default Brake check...

Always remember when working on anything for your bike to try and test it as close road conditions as possible, before actually hitting the road.This could have been a worse case and were glad that didnt happen. Brake problems have and most likely will seriously hurt or fatally injure more riders in the future. This means tightening all zert fitting down to where there is no more leakage coming out. Clean the area with a degreaser so you can see any new fluid leaks but not with break or parts cleaner as these chemicals can harm other parts that are not made out of metal. Depress the brake lever to pressurize the brake system until the lever starts to stiffen. Keep a close eye on yourfluid level as to not let it all drain from the reservoir, Otherwise you would be pushing air into the system which is not a good thing! Anytime you remove fluid, it is an absolute necessity to bleed them again before hitting the road. I also like to put the bike in neutral and get it rolling and test it to make sure they dont lock up. That way at least your hopefully not rolling over 20mph. It sounds like your caliper needs to be replaced. I wouldnt have it rebuilt, even on my bike. I would have the unit replaced. But they are rebuildable. GL and be safe!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you fitted new levers?

Old 04-17-2012, 10:44 AM

Idk about on bikes, but i've had this happen in on of my cars before. Atleast in my car it was due to a collapsed rubber brake hose which would let the fluid in but not back out. if this is your problem I'd suggest going to steel braided lines.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

$10 says you used ebay levers

Old 04-17-2012, 09:51 PM

What do my levers have to do with anything and ya there ebay bought but the levers function and release exactly as the stock the bike has been sitting a couple years so it not a huge surprise but i they are not leaking im getting some new brake fluid as mine is now low but i think it might have air locked on me so im gonna hit the pistons with a lil WD or similar andd change and bleed the fluid hopefully that does it.but seriousley why are you guys buggin about the levers

Old 04-17-2012, 10:50 PM

There was a thread on here where a guy got some ebay levers and they caused him to lock up and wreck I believe. If the levers you have were on there before the issue then I wouldn't blame them. BTW I think you're supposed to use clean brake fluid to lube the pistons, don't know if wd-40 is a good idea.

Last edited by chambers; 04-17-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:20 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

The levers are a known problem and have caused this exact issue. Love the attitude though....

Quick Reply: Front BRAKE LOCK UP