F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

f4i too much fuel pressure??

Old 04-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f4i too much fuel pressure??

ok i have a 2001 honda cbr 600 f4i. i know the previous fpr was bad because the vac line poured gas.. so i ordered a new one from cheap cycle parts. i got about 50 miles or so out of the bike then it started getting very hard to start like it was either loading up or starving. everyone kept tellin me they smelt a strong gas smell. well i then notice i had a split hose inside the tank and fixed it. fired right up and ran great i got 1.5 miles to my buddies house then it died and took a half hour to start then made it down the street then had to push it the 1.5 miles home. then noticed it was flooding out. nomatter what i do with the new fpr it seems like too much fuel pressure and its not clogged i checked it. i put the old one back on capping off the vac line and same thing acted the same. i then unhooked the vac cap then ran a vac line into the tank to relieve pressure and it runs great and start up every time. does anyone have any idea what to do or try? idk what else to try on it.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:35 AM

anyone have any ideas?

Old 04-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

The Fuel Pressure Regulator is there to maintain the fuel pressure at 50psi above manifold pressure. It has to be connected to the vacuum hose from the throttle bodies in order to function properly. If you installed a new FPR and have it hooked up to the vacuum line properly, then I suspect that you've got a different problem.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:09 AM

when i pull codes nothing shows up. to me it seems like its pushing too much fuel through the injectors causing it to flood. i just took the pump out to make sure everything was right and it is.it was running fine about a week ago. and once again its not throwing any codes. i dont know much about about these bikes except what i had to fix on it sofar. what else would cause it to run rich without throwing codes? i go to work tomorrow and need my bike running asap. any tips to try would be greatly apreciated.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:20 PM

when the bike is hard to start, has it been sitting outside in the sun? if the car is hard starting after being left outside, try opeing the gas cap. it may be hard to open, and once you do u may hear a big "swoosh" sound like air is venting. If so u way have a clooged gas tank vent. its on the bottom of the gas tank and is one of those hoses that hangs out underneath your bike. I dunno if this is actually ur problem, but its easy enough to check and is a cause to hard starting after the bike sits for awhile.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:45 PM

well the bike stays under a car cover so it stays out of the sun and weather. i never leave it out lol. well the gas cap has been off of it right now and it does it. i just tried the vent and it is clogged but i dont have the gas cap on it. would it be possible that my new fpr might be clogged? imma go see if it is right now. even though i doubt it but its an idea.

nope the new one isnt clogged up because fuel flows through it.. i got my battery charging up right now. so what else could i check that would cause it to run rich? any ideas?

Last edited by IDoDirt; 04-08-2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Double Post
Old 04-08-2012, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by dj600f4i
well the gas cap has been off of it right now and it does it. i just tried the vent and it is clogged but i dont have the gas cap on it.
So is the vent line clogged? Did you take it off and try to clean it out?

Old 04-08-2012, 02:41 PM

the vent line is clogged and i will clean it out but it cant be the problem when there isnt a gas cap on the tank? and its not pressurising the tank for some reason its getting too much fuel. so right now at this point after i clean out the vent line it will still do it.since the gas cap isnt even on the tank.

ok so now im getting it to throw codes and it threw a few of them. is there somewheres i can go online to get a list of the code meanings?

Last edited by IDoDirt; 04-08-2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Double Post
Old 04-08-2012, 04:33 PM

The service manual will tell you how to read codes http://www.stephygee.com/f4imanual.zip.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:54 PM

ok thanks for the link. just pulled the codes and got a 8,9,12,13,14,15 earlier today the bike quit runnin before i checked the codes and now it wont start at all. all connections are good and the injectors are spraying fuel just fine. im just so fed up and annoyed with this bike. i think it was throwing those codes because i took the injectors and harness off to readjust the timing chain tensioner again. this bike is doing nothing but giving me a headache. if i cant get it running again in the next couple days im going to part it out and make my money back out of it so i can buy something else.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: f4i too much fuel pressure??