F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i idle problem

Old 03-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i idle problem

my bike idles at 4k rpms. Is there a way i cant manually control the idle. i have tried idle **** but people have said not to mess around with that its the fuel mixture. so is there also another nut that controls the idle or something. please help

Old 03-11-2010, 10:00 PM
July 2010 ROTM

that idle **** on the left side of the bike is for the idle. twist a lil bit and then blip your throttle to see the change. then do it again till u get it where u want it. 4k is a high, id say aim for about 1500 if you can. just be careful and dont do too much at one time bc ive heard of some people taking the **** all the way out on accident.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:05 PM

yeh i have actually tried tho is there anything else like a nut or something.
also is there a way to manually do it thank you

Old 03-11-2010, 10:10 PM
July 2010 ROTM

not that i know of, the idle **** should work unless its not attached. is it running at 4000 rpms cold? if it is thats fine-wait till it warms up, itll go down. if im thinking right that is the way to manually adjust the idle.
but i could be wrong
someone else will come and explain it a lil better than me here in a min

Old 03-11-2010, 10:13 PM

yeh it runs at 4000rpm hot thanks for your help

Old 03-11-2010, 11:31 PM

And let it run at the new setting for a minute, I made the mistake of taking off real fast and the engine cut out right in the intersection...

Old 03-12-2010, 03:09 AM

i had the same issue. i believe its the wax unit, but u can fix it by unscrewing the tiny nut thats on top of the thin rod connected to the idle valves (left lower side of the throttle bodies). u need to take the airbox off to have access to the wax unit. after u unscrew the tiny nut, make sure the valves close all the way and put the nut on so it sits on top (removing it is fine too as it should not matter). oh and before doing anything make sure the idle **** screw part does not touch the metal flap or the valves wont close all the way. now, when the valves are closed, turn the idle **** screw to the point that it touches the metal flap (you will know what im talking about once u get on it). put everything back and start the bike. now, to increase the idle, simply turn the **** (i forget which way..). problem solved. i hope u get what im saying here.

Last edited by mbison83; 03-12-2010 at 03:12 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:09 AM

i do not know if this will help but i had this issue going on when me FPR started going bad, i replaced that part and threw in some new plugs and it has been great ever since.

I would try the wax unit first and if that does not work you could be having the same problem i was.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:13 AM

the wax unit controls the idle. when hot water reaches it, it causes the idle valves (as i call them) to close slightly, which decreases the idle. the fix that i wrote about should do it even if ur wax unit is faulty. if you want to dig in and spend more money to find the real problem (it could be clogged hoses that go from the thermostat to it, the thermostat itself, the sensor by the thermostat, etc.) then go for it. in my case, i've changed the whole throttlebody assembly, the hoses, wax unit, and the problem was still there. after i did my quick fix, i've never had any issues. good luck.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:52 PM

i kno this may sound stupid but can you manually extend the wax unit rod and some how keep it from going back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F4i idle problem