F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Dunlop Sportmax Q2 vs Michelin Pilot Road 3

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dunlop Sportmax Q2 vs Michelin Pilot Road 3

i was looking to change my tires on my 2001 f4i and i was looking for input. I use my bike as a toy on weekends. I was wondering what is the best tire for this bike for spirited rides. thank you in advance

Old 02-06-2012, 01:46 PM

I've read somewhere that the q2's can go all the way down to parts scraping and still have room to lean further. They came on my bike when I got it, and as I'm progressing in my skill they've had plenty more capability than I need. I'm not sure of the tread life as I don't know how long they were on my bike when I got them, but I read it's along the lines of the equivalent dual compound michelins. The pilot road 3's are more of a sport touring than performance tire like the q2, I think the equivalent of the q2 from michelin is the pilot power 2ct.

Last edited by chambers; 02-06-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:21 PM

I'd go with the Q2's if it's between that and the pilot roads. But I would highly recommend the pilot pure's, they are amazing tires, I've ran both the Q2's and the pure. Both are great but I'd buy another set of pure's over the Q2's anyday.

All three tires will get you around 6k of life. The Q2's and pure have about the same grip and are way better then the road if you ride pretty hard on them. But the pure does A LOT better in the rain than the Q2's.

This is just from my experience, someone else may have had better luck with one of the other tires.

here's a link for good price on some Pure's if you wanna give them a look. eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Old 02-06-2012, 03:55 PM

I love my Q2's. They heat up quick and grip amazingly. I've got about 5,000 miles on my set right now. Probably will get another 1500 to 2k out of my rear, the front I'd say at least another 4k to 5k miles. You can't go wrong with the michellin power CT2's though either.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:47 AM

i would say depends on your style of riding.
here is a interesting read about the PR3:
Michelin Pilot Road 3 road test review | Motorcycle Safety News

Old 02-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by chambers
I've read somewhere that the q2's can go all the way down to parts scraping and still have room to lean further.
Either tire he listed can do that, stock pegs hit very easy.

OP- your comparing two very different tires. The Q2 is dunlops max effort street performance tire while the road 3's are michelins high mileage sport touring tire. The Q2 is comparable to michelins pilot pure tire. I am a huge pure fan and can't recommend them enough to people. They handle track days, canyon runs, and daily commutes. I put 10,000 miles on the rear and 15,000 on the front of my last set along with a couple track days at fast B group pace. No other tire will do that.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
Either tire he listed can do that, stock pegs hit very easy.

OP- your comparing two very different tires. The Q2 is dunlops max effort street performance tire while the road 3's are michelins high mileage sport touring tire. The Q2 is comparable to michelins pilot pure tire. I am a huge pure fan and can't recommend them enough to people. They handle track days, canyon runs, and daily commutes. I put 10,000 miles on the rear and 15,000 on the front of my last set along with a couple track days at fast B group pace. No other tire will do that.

You put 10,000 miles onto a pure rear? You must ride like a dead grandmother. Typical life expectancy of that tyre is just under 5k.

OP - also consider the PR2 and Pirelli angel ST, tend to get 7k and 6k per rear respectively with normal riding.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
The Q2 is comparable to michelins pilot pure tire. I am a huge pure fan and can't recommend them enough to people. They handle track days, canyon runs, and daily commutes. I put 10,000 miles on the rear and 15,000 on the front of my last set along with a couple track days at fast B group pace. No other tire will do that.
What tire is that the power pure or one of the pilot power tires? I don't see any pilot pure tire on michelin's site.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by chambers
What tire is that the power pure or one of the pilot power tires? I don't see any pilot pure tire on michelin's site.

I think this is what he meant, also the tire I posted about in earlier post.

Click link: Michelin Power Pure Tires - Z-Rated - Package Specials from SportbikeTrackGear.com

or click the other link I posted to ebay. Same tire. It's called Michelin Power Pure

Old 02-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnyBrago
You put 10,000 miles onto a pure rear? You must ride like a dead grandmother. Typical life expectancy of that tyre is just under 5k.
Like I said, several trackdays and many canyon runs means I re-rounded the tire several times and spent lots of time not on the center. If you think a fast B group pace at a trackday is riding like a dead grandmother then so be it. Heres a video showing what Im talking about. My friend [one of the check riders] is filming. He follows our buddy for a lap then follows me for a couple: Ti2TT @ Inde Motorsports Park October 23rd 24th 2010.flv - YouTube

Quick Reply: Dunlop Sportmax Q2 vs Michelin Pilot Road 3