F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Disconnecting the kill switch.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disconnecting the kill switch.

The emergency kill switch on my F4i (38000 miles) is cause me problems. If I get anywhere near the switch the bike will shut off. I what I am wondering is if it is safe and can I disconnect it entirely from the rest of the electronics without it affecting anything else???

Old 04-19-2014, 11:42 PM
Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

You would have to bypass it so the wires that are connected in the on position are permanently connected. I wouldn't say it is unsafe but this is coming from someone that doesn't use it. Others may disagree.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:43 AM
"A"
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Emergency switch does just that, in case of emergency, shuts off the engine/fuel delivering system, so your bike does not catch on fire and burn to a crisp. You decide whether or not to have it available.

What kind of problem is the switch causing?

Old 04-20-2014, 08:09 AM

Isn't there a fuel cut off relay for the occasion you get in a wreck?

Old 04-20-2014, 11:22 AM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fix the problem instead of covering it up. Sounds like a short somewhere. Take the switch apart and clean it up. Make sure there are no cuts in the wire.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by "A"
Emergency switch does just that, in case of emergency, shuts off the engine/fuel delivering system, so your bike does not catch on fire and burn to a crisp. You decide whether or not to have it available.

What kind of problem is the switch causing?
If I lightly touch the button or the area around the button the bike will shut off. Normally, this isn't a problem at all, but sometimes when I ride my thumb may glance over the right handle bar and boom -- engine cuts off…

Old 04-21-2014, 03:33 PM

I had the exact same problem on my bike, so I did what any responsible motorcyclist would do; I ignored it, until one day my bike decided it didn't want to run anymore. The fix was very simple. I took some electrical contact cleaner (available at any hardware or auto parts store) and sprayed it into the box that the kill switch lives in. This didn't seem to fix the problem, so I removed the black plastic piece that covers the left ram air intake duct, found the notorious gray plug that seems to cause problems on these bikes, and squeezed it together. Now I'm not sure which of these two things fixed the problem because by the time I had gotten to the plug, the electrical contact cleaner had had time to work on the kill switch, but whatever the case may be, the bike runs perfectly now and hasn't given me any problems since.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by romoses4
I had the exact same problem on my bike, so I did what any responsible motorcyclist would do; I ignored it, until one day my bike decided it didn't want to run anymore. The fix was very simple. I took some electrical contact cleaner (available at any hardware or auto parts store) and sprayed it into the box that the kill switch lives in. This didn't seem to fix the problem, so I removed the black plastic piece that covers the left ram air intake duct, found the notorious gray plug that seems to cause problems on these bikes, and squeezed it together. Now I'm not sure which of these two things fixed the problem because by the time I had gotten to the plug, the electrical contact cleaner had had time to work on the kill switch, but whatever the case may be, the bike runs perfectly now and hasn't given me any problems since.
Are you suggesting I leave it alone until the bike no longer runs at all

Old 04-23-2014, 03:46 PM

Hey, whatever blows your hair back.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:43 AM

F4i Killswitch Bypass Wiring and Key Relocation

Just skip the key relocation steps. What I did instead of bypassing the killswitch was just connect it to a push button or toggle switch and attached it to the ram air covers. and used a momentary push button for the starter, works like a charm and looks pretty good too. I also have the 1000rr throttle tube so no more big box on the bars. (you can get them on ebay for cheap and the throttle cables attach right to it, 5 min mod.

Quick Reply: Disconnecting the kill switch.