F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Changed oil to synthetic and changed coolant, now bike getting hotter

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Changed oil to synthetic and changed coolant, now bike getting hotter

Hello all,

After reading a few threads on oil and coolant, I decided to use that Shell Rotella T synthetic 5W-40 oil and at the same time, I decided to flush my coolant because I didn't know when the last time it was changed (although the coolant was still green and clear).

For the oil, no big deal, I changed the oil and filter (I used 14612 Purolator pure one) and refilled like usual.

For the coolant, I used Prestone extended life. The back of the bottle listed silicate free and safe for aluminum engines. The same found here: LINK. I followed the directions in the manual and from a couple of threads I found on here and that went fine too. However, now when I ride, the bike seems to get hotter than before. My problem is with stop-n-go traffic. Before, the bike would get to about 225F and the fan would kick in and the bike would cool down to around 218F or lower if I was able to coast for a while. But now, the bike will get to like 228F and take longer to cool down.

I know that this is a difference of just 3 degrees, but I don't want to run into any problems. I did follow the directions and purged the air out the radiator/cooling system and made sure that both the radiator and reservoir is at level. The oil too is at level and no leaks or anything.

Any ideas or is this just normal and I am getting worked up for nothing.

Thanks.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:55 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

When you were filling it up with coolant, did you run the bike and let it get up to temperature with the radiator cap off? You should have. I've read of bikes having air pockets in them, but I think if you had one your bike would be running way hotter. Besides that, are you sure you're not just observing your temp gauge more closely now that you changed your coolant?
BTW, do you feel the difference with the synthetic?

Old 07-04-2009, 12:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you did it right then there is nothing to worry about. It's likely just slightly differant cooling properites of the fluids. Especially a slightly differant coolant/water ratio can have that effect.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Incognito
When you were filling it up with coolant, did you run the bike and let it get up to temperature with the radiator cap off? You should have. I've read of bikes having air pockets in them, but I think if you had one your bike would be running way hotter. Besides that, are you sure you're not just observing your temp gauge more closely now that you changed your coolant?
BTW, do you feel the difference with the synthetic?
I did let the bike get to temp (around 180F) with the cap off while at the same time, blipping the throttle to purge air out of the system. Then I put the cap on and, let the bike cool down, a and changed the oil. Then I let the bike get to 225F so I could make sure that the fan still kicks in like usual.

As for noticing the difference with the synthetic, I can't really tell all that much. Shifting is still good just as before, but then again, my bike only has like 2600 miles on it and I don't get to ride that much so I don't have much to compare to.

I also am probably just looking at it more since I changed both fluids, but I do know that before it never got to 228F. It probably is a difference with the cooling properties of the coolant as I used the 50/50 pre-diluted. I won't worry too much, but wanted to be safe.

Thanks for the responses.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the ratio of the coolant is most like it. fill it from the top of the radiator making sure it is FULL. its hard tho, huh? keep revving it or ride it. burp all the air out of the system. my friend did a mix of not 50/50 but 70/30 (more coolant)