F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

cbr no start after replacing fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cbr no start after replacing fuel system

Hello all. My bike had an issue recently where it wouldnt start, sounded like it was fuel starved, started with ether, could hear fuel pump priming.
I took the tank off, cleaned the pump and filters with ether+carb cleaner, and everything operated fine for about a week, then same issue. So I replaced the fuel filter as well as the pump itself, and now again it refuses to start(pump primes, engine turns over, solid spark). i can hear the pump prime, and I tried priming it about 30 times(flicking the run switch on, letting the cycle complete, flicking the switch off, then back on). The bike continues to sound like there is no fuel going to the injectors. I assumed the engine would generate enough vaccum just turning over to draw from the system, and I've checked for kinked hoses, but found nothing that appears to be impeding the system.
I've read about problems with FPR's but most of them seem to get stuck open, rather than closed. What should I do next to get this thing back to running? Thank you in advance

Old 01-30-2017, 04:50 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

How did the little rubber hoses inside the tank on the module look? I had one of mine leak and release all the pressure back into the tank.

Have you checked the actual fuel pressure?

Old 01-30-2017, 05:22 PM

They appeared to be perfectly intact, such that I didn't even use the hoses that came with my new pump. I dont have a way to properly test the fuel pressure at the moment, and I also discovered a little metal spacer in the ground that I think goes to the banjo bolt. I'll post back in a couple hours after I reinstall it. I'm also just going to assume at this point that when I take that bolt out at the bottom of the tank that if my pump is pressuring correctly, I should have quite a gush when I loosen said bolt

Old 01-30-2017, 05:57 PM

I dont have a proper way to test the pressure, but the hoses looked fine - such that I didnt feel the need to replace them with the new ones that came with my pump. I did however find a washer that fell off the banjo bolt, so I'm going to try putting that little guy back on and see what happens.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:28 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Harbor freight fuel pressure tester for $20 or so. You need it.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:04 PM

alright, so I'll start by apologizing for my previous double-ish post. Anyways - after some more research I went checked my FI blink code - which is telling me I have a malfunction in injector 2. I took the injectors out, which have no noticeable buildup, and swapped injector 1 and 2. The bike started up fine - but I encountered a really odd new problem. The bike runs perfectly while I have the airbox off and the tank held upright, as soon as I reassemble everything, it fires what little gas is left in the rail, then stops running. I repeated the process, and got the exact same result. I can't see any kinks in the lines, but i'm beginning to suspect I have a kink in my primary fuel line. I let the bike run with the tank upright/airbox disassembled for a full 7 minutes. ran fine, even from WOT to zero, no stumbles or hiccups. I did have difficulty reinstalling the banjo bolt with the tank in place so I believe that I somehow installed the pump assembly backwards.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:34 PM
Talking

so apparently mounting your fuel assembly in backwards is a thing. My return and primary fuel lines were on top of each other, and when the tank was on top of them, the pressure impeded the flow of fuel to the point where the bike wouldn't run. Since my bike has almost 50k miles, I'm planning to replace the injectors soon anyways, but for now, she lives again!

Old 02-01-2017, 12:13 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Why replace injectors just from mileage? I have 81,000 and my injectors work great.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:32 PM

boredandstroked - because regardless of if they will keep running, The fact that my bike thinks that there is a problem is enough of a reason for me. I personally prefer my machines to be in top condition, as I'm entrusting my life to it.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:31 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Bikes don't think.

Quick Reply: cbr no start after replacing fuel system