F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

954 Brake Upgrade Info and Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 03:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 954 Brake Upgrade Info and Question

I’ve decided to do the 954 front brake upgrade and have compared all the specs (yada, yada…yeah I know…many folks have said they are compatible). In so doing, I discovered something interesting about the pads and rotors. I used EBC’s published specifications of their street brake pads and race rotors to get some measurements. I found out that by the specs of the pads, rotor thickness of the 954 set should be 1.4mm thinner. EBC’s published specs say 2mm so that’s close enough. What does this mean to us? It means that if you can get the 900/929/954/RC51 pads for the same price then do it, as you get a slightly thicker pad, which should translate to longer useful life. The F4i rotor diameter is 296 and the 954 diameter is 330. Since the calipers mount up, I should get better stopping power just because the pad pressure contact surface with the disc is further away from the center of rotation; simple physics. Now here comes the tricky part and the question: I have every reason to believe the rotors will bolt up to the wheel. The bore of the 954 rotor is 0.7mm smaller. Can someone tell me (possibly by experience) before I purchase these rotors if the F4i axle will still fit thru the rotors?

Old 06-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 954 Brake Upgrade Info and Question

when i did my install, i had 929 pads in calipers already, i know where do 2mm come from, the 929 pads have the perforated metal grid from the back. it could do something with cooling, but i believe they're still better than f4i.

even if the 954 rotors do bolt up, what are you planning to do with the caliper mount points? weld onto the fork? it wouldn't work too well i assume.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:07 PM

ORIGINAL: apkraven

even if the 954 rotors do bolt up, what are you planning to do with the caliper mount points? weld onto the fork? it wouldn't work too well i assume.
What do you mean? Are you saying that with the bigger rotors the calipers wouldn't be able to bite them?

Old 06-21-2008, 01:04 AM

when i did my upgrade i went to ebay and bought the 160 upgraded rotors for front and back, they were no name but used the ebc pads. worked great and were night and day between the stock 929 caliper and pad to the new ones. the 929 rotor will not fit our f4i unless you do some cutting. i know this at least from from 05 and up cuz my friend attempted and did not work. save ur money and really seriously get the no name rotors from ebayim not kidding, ive riding a 1098 and i swear to god my bike feels the same with the rotors and 929 calipers it feels great and would def recomend them total of about 300 for caliper/pads/rotor, maybe more with s&h depending on ebay. great for tracking, i used for 1 track day and would def recomend them for us unless ur a baller and can shell out thousands on a great brakeing system! hope this helps just pm/email me if u have any questions. blah dont mind my typing im drunk as hell right now

Old 06-21-2008, 03:54 AM

JayBird180, they just won't fit on the existing mountpoints. you will need some complicated spacer brackets to fit 929 rotors in place. but if you manage to fab them up, let me know, i'll buy such set of brackets from you!

Old 06-21-2008, 11:17 AM

ORIGINAL: apkraven

JayBird180, they just won't fit on the existing mountpoints. you will need some complicated spacer brackets to fit 929 rotors in place. but if you manage to fab them up, let me know, i'll buy such set of brackets from you!
Nah, I'm not going to fool with fabbing up anything. My rotorsare fine.
ORIGINAL: devlzluv

when i did my upgrade i went to ebay and bought the 160 upgraded rotors for front and back, they were no name but used the ebc pads. worked great and were night and day between the stock 929 caliper and pad to the new ones. the 929 rotor will not fit our f4i unless you do some cutting. i know this at least from from 05 and up cuz my friend attempted and did not work. save ur money and really seriously get the no name rotors from ebayim not kidding, ive riding a 1098 and i swear to god my bike feels the same with the rotors and 929 calipers it feels great and would def recomend them total of about 300 for caliper/pads/rotor, maybe more with s&h depending on ebay. great for tracking, i used for 1 track day and would def recomend them for us unless ur a baller and can shell out thousands on a great brakeing system! hope this helps just pm/email me if u have any questions. blah dont mind my typing im drunk as hell right now
Are the rotors wave or anything? Look like OEM?

Thanks guys.
CBRForum is da *hit

Old 06-21-2008, 11:36 AM

that's what they look like!

or maybe like this?

Old 06-21-2008, 12:09 PM

I recall a debate in another thread where someone (possibly you) mentioned getting "cheap" rotors. All hell broke loose. I did some research myself and I agree that it can't be all that difficult to manufacture rotors, well not by hand at least.

I'm glad you like your setup. Well, it's time for me to get rolling on getting my new brakes to me.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:29 PM

apkraven thats it the top ones, ya people are saying they suck but ya umm they dont distort and dispurse heat very well and are damn good imo, i dont have 2k to drop on professional brakign system so i opted for those

Old 06-21-2008, 04:35 PM

ORIGINAL: devlzluv

apkraven thats it the top ones, ya people are saying they suck but ya umm they dont distort and dispurse heat very well and are damn good imo, i dont have 2k to drop on professional brakign system so i opted for those
that's nice to know, i always liked the chea[er and most cost-effective solutions.
i think bottom ones look a bit more stylish(i found them only today, hong kong too at it's finest) but wouldn't like to be a guinea pig to try them out

Quick Reply: 954 Brake Upgrade Info and Question