Go Back   CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners > Past CBR Models > CBR 600 F4i > F4i - Main Forum
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-10-2007, 08:03 PM

Default 520 Conversion & Chain/Sprocket Change

Hi All,

I have a 2005 CBR600F4i. Stock is 525 chain with 16-teeth front sprocket & 46-teeth rear sprocket. I'm replacing my sprocket/chain set-up to the following:

D.I.D X-Ring Chain (520VM) - 120 Links. Planning to purchase at www.cal-sportbike.com for $104.99 (w/o shipping or tax). Reference: www.didchain.com/specs.htm

Vortex520 Gold Rear Sprocket (Cat5) - 48 teeth. Planning to purchase direct at www.vortexracing.com/index.php?src=directory&srctype=display&id =2412&view=Products_detailfor $70.95 (w/o shipping or tax).

Vortex 520 Front Sprocket (3273)- 16 teeth. Planning to purchase direct at www.vortexracing.com/index.php?class0_0=419&class0_1=442&class0 _2=857&class0_3=858&xsearch_id=products_se arch1&src=directory&view=Products&subm enu=&submit.x=5&submit.y=9for $33.95 (w/o shipping or tax).

My reasoning for purchasing theseitems:

Chain: D.I.D sounds like the best/better quality, and since I'm changing to a smaller chain (520 vs. 525 stock), I want to make sure I get the best/better quality. It's a gold-colored chain which will match nicely with the gold rear sprocket. Btw, I have a silver/graybike. Also, although I'm guessing a minor performance difference, the weight is well over 1/2 pound lighter for a 520 vs. a 525. Perhaps it is more significant considering rotating mass. Lastly, price is less for a 520 vs. a 525.

Sprocket: Vortex, again sounds like the best/better quality, and they have a huge range of teeth sizes. It's a gold-colored sprocket, matching nicely with the gold chain. I'm going with a 48-teeth rear sprocket to increase lower-end power, but keeping with a 16-teeth front sprocket (stock teeth count). I'm choosing the 16/48 combo as a middle ground for what most people seem to be choosing, which is 15/48. I'm also just changing only the rear because I believe there will be less wear on a chain by only "upsizing"the rear sprocket, instead of"downsizing" the front. Seems to me that a larger rear-sprocketwill cause less wear than a small front-sprocket. Btw, I found a great Excel spreadsheet that shows the speed difference when changing sprocket sizes (Click Here). Lastly, I am changing both front and rear sprockets because I feel I should when a new chain is installed (btw, current chain is stock and has rust stains with 3600 miles on it - poor maintenance by prior owner?).

Any comments, thoughts would be appreciated.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CBRForum!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:34 PM

Default RE: 520 Conversion & Chain/Sprocket Change

If your looking for quicker acceleration then -1/+2 is the way to go. I've never heard or experienced faster chain wear by doing that, but maybe one of the other guys has. check this link http://www.sumofallparts.net/. this is where I buy my stuff and it runs around $150.00 for the standard -1/+2 and DID (i think) chain. They can also hook you up with colored chains and anodized sprockets to. I just ordered a yellow chain and black sprockets and its costing me just under $200.00 for the kit.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:59 PM

Default RE: 520 Conversion & Chain/Sprocket Change

my 00'r6 had a 530 set-up stock. chain never really stretched and i never adjusted it in 6500 miles. i'm thinkin about doin a 530 on the f4i for less chain maintenance. might cost you a couple a few horsepower. less maintenance and more riding time

Old 05-10-2007, 08:59 PM

Tags
520, 525, 600, cbr, cbr600rr, change, conversion, difference, f4i, front, gold, real, rear, size, sprocket, sprockets, whats