F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2nd gear wheelie

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd gear wheelie

ok so ive had my bike for a while now and tend to be pretty darring lately

ive learned to do wheelies by clutching it up in first and now i like to go higher and higher, i get a lil scared when i get almost verticle cause the throttle is so touchy in first, and by the time i usually get that high im doin 60 in first gear and im about to hit 13K

longest i usually go on one wheel is only a few seconds (maybe 7seconds the longest) cuz i need to shift but ive never been able to pop it up in 2nd

i just dont know if my bike is runnin like crap and needs a tune up or if theyre just not powerful enough to come up in second

but id love to start doin some stand ups in 2nd cause the throttle wont be as touchy and i could prolly hold one up for a while but i just cant seem to get it up

ive tried standing up and trying to bounce it while clutchin it up but it just didnt seem safe to me cause it kinda threw my balence off... but has anyone learned the art to pullin up the front in 2nd gear on a stock F4i?

Old 08-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Default RE: 2nd gear wheelie

You'll probably get a better response in the stunters section, but I've pulled up an F4i in 2nd just with a little bounce. Personally, I bring my 900 up in 1st and shift to 2nd right away on the way up and then ride it out from there. It is much smoother to me, it requires no clutch or whacking of the throttle just give a some gas and at around 5k a slight tug of the bars and up it comes, at around 11 oclock or so i grab 2nd still climbing and then use 2nd to get to the height I want and ride from there. That is just how I've come to learn it and most will say it is stupid to not use the clutch but for me...it is just so smoothe. It's predictable and easy. All you have to do to shift is just close the throttle with the shifter already pre loaded with your foot and it'll slide right in. Some will say it's hard on stuff, but most stunts are so......either way if you're doing wheelies, it's not good for your bike. But they sure are fun.

Old 08-05-2006, 11:56 PM

Dude, doing wheelies "right" on your bike won't hurt it. When you clutch it up its putting just as much strain on your parts as it would if you were shifting hard with the front wheel down. Go to the Stunters Corner and read through the posts on there. The F4i will come up in 3rd gear if you get the hang of it. You need to use the clutch with one finger so you can still grip the bar. But I have posted the technique 4 or 5 times already so just read through the stunt section and you should get some info

-Jesse-

Old 08-08-2006, 08:28 AM

ok so i read thru all that stuff and it just seemed self explanitory to me...

but ive been tryin and tryin and could only get it to come up 6 inches or so off the ground b4 it would come back down... except for today

now i dont know what i did differently or if my bike just decided it was the right time to do it... but i was goin about 50 in 2nd and tried to clutch it up like i always do and it gradually lifted up like a plane taking off...

it was so smooth i rode it out for a good 1/4 mile (not bad for it being my first time up in a new gear)

but now... im back where i was at before.... only gettin it 6"- 12" off the ground...

... i think my bike needs a tune up

Old 08-08-2006, 09:55 AM

Clutch it harded and slow down a bit. Heres a step by step-

1. Get your rpms around 5000-5500 rpms (this is the only time you should be looking at the tach) and slide your *** back until it touches the rear seat. Also make sure YOU ARE COVERING THE REAR BRAKE. I can't stress that enough, if you get into some trouble and you clutchit too hard the rear brake will save you, but just don't mash on it.
2. Use your index finger to pull in the clutch, pull it in until the lever touches the knuckles of your other fingers that are gripping the clip on.
3. Give the bike a quick rev (start out with a little and give it more and more until it comes up where you need to be) and let the clutch out.

Steps 2 and 3 should be done in one SMOOTH motion. If this doesn't work you need to practice more. Just keep doing it over and over and you will be able to get it up everytime. My bike is only -1 in the front and I can clutch up 2nd gear from 25 mph sitting down and about 20 mph doing standups. You just need to practice and it will come, don't expect to be able to get it to BP the first time you try to wheelie and if you do expect that you will wreck. It takes some time to get used to the bike when your only on 1 wheel but its not too bad.

Ok thats it for now, but go out and let us know how it went. Even if your bike is running like *** you should be able to clutch it up.

-Jesse-

Old 08-08-2006, 06:07 PM

ima go practice usin the rear brake, i got 1st gear down pretty good so ill just make it more controled

its about to start raining... so no wheelies today [:@]

i never used the brake to come down... i usually get scared and let off the throttle then rev it up again to make the landing smooth, maybe i should start practicing using that brake b4 i do anything else

does it need alot of pressure to slow it down(bring it down some)... or just a slight tap? i mean u are fighting the throttle

i need to practice that staggerd stance as well... ive only tried it once and the the bike came up so fast, i thought it was gonna keep goin till my back hit the concrete, so i got scared and let off the throttle... ive been stickin to my sit downs since

Old 08-09-2006, 10:27 AM

You just need to get the feel for it, practice and practice some more. Of corse you will get scared at first, but eventually you will get the feeling and just expect it to do that. Also, if you haven't yet, bring your air pressure down between 25-30, it will help alot. About the brake just press it, when you get good and ride past bp alot you will have to ride the brake, but for now just get the feeling of it being there and make your brain learn to use it when you get into trouble so you don't have to think about it, know what I mean?

Good luck

-Jesse-