F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2001 CBR 600 F4i Leaking gas from exhaust

Old 05-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 CBR 600 F4i Leaking gas from exhaust

Hi guys, I have a 2001 CBR 600 F4i that has been sitting in my garage and on the side of the house for the past ohh 3 years. It has a new battery, and everything else from what I know is stock. Here is my issue, I was taking it on its first ride to work (5 miles away) and I got about 4 miles in when it started to stall on me as soon as I pulled the clutch and let the revs die down to an Idle. I had to hold the throttle open so as not to stall let it stall while stopped. Anyways, I attempted to limp it home after work and a person driving next to me pointed out at my next stop that my bike was leaking from the hole and clamp between the CAT and Muffler. I pulled into the gas station and filled her up with gas thinking it might just be water, and I had not filled it up with gas in 3 years. I filled up with 3 gallons and drove home still having to hold an idle at stops. By the time I got home the bikes fuel tank was empty and the bike was gushing out fluid (I think Fuel) from in-between the CAT and Muffler. What would cause this and how do I fix it?

Old 05-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure it is leaking out of the exhaust and not just leaking from the tank and dripping down onto the exhaust?

Old 05-20-2012, 10:48 AM

are you familiar with how the bike normally operates? very quick and clean revs, etc. did you have a loss of power?
what octane did you put in? i know for a fact gas is comming from my exhaust and i have low compression in one of the cylinders.
which probably isnt igniting the 89 octane fuel completely, or just shooting gas from the exhaust valve like its going out of style. but my idle is only 300 rpm lower than it should be.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:42 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RudyGT
but my idle is only 300 rpm lower than it should be.
You can adjust that, There is a little **** just inside your clutch side fairing around your shin area.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Default reply

Yes I am sure its not dripping from the tank directly. I know this because its as if the exhaust is filled up with gas so much that its pouring from that little hole in the muffler that is for water like i'm pouring a drink out of a tea kettle.
and worse out from the middle bracket of the exhaust clamp.

I am familiar with how the bike was running before. It ran smooth and had no problems before its 3 year sit while I was on deployment.

Could it be something stuck open, or a regulator, or anything ilke that? or timing? while riding it to work it did run a lot more rough than before I let it sit.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Default reply

The red circles are where its leaking from while running.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:25 PM

i've been trying to figure out my own problem with this, i have low compression in one cylinder, and im thinking a stuck valve.
i dunno if its possible that the camshafts jumped a few links on the chain and messed up the timing.
as to how to fix it if it is a stuck valve, it appears the engine would have to be removed to get to the cylinder head.
unless one unsticks valves from the top end..

Old 05-21-2012, 04:30 PM

Im thinking valves are stuck, or need to be adjusted BADLY and PROPERLY!

Old 05-21-2012, 05:17 PM

I know if this was a car I would tell you to check you mas air sensor (the thing that meters your air/fuel ratio). Its possible that you are running SUPER rich. You mentioned a CAT. That makes me think you have an O2 sensor. It might be bad (which could also cause you to run super rich)

Old 05-21-2012, 07:49 PM

Check your compression, carefull running it as a stuck valve can be harmfull

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 CBR 600 F4i Leaking gas from exhaust