F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

seafoam now wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seafoam now wont start

Hey all.
Was getting the bike ready for riding season started her up took it for a quick spin brought her back took the tank off and poured some seafoam down the fuel line. Tried restarting it , she would not fire did this for some time , drained the carbs twice and cleaned the plugs . finally started ran it till it was at operating temp then turned of and changed the oil. Couple days later went to go for a ride she would not start just like before wants to try but stumbles and backfires took plugs out again not dirty just wet from fuel.There is spark already checked. Any ideas or could the seafoam still be causing this I did put in about a 1/3 of can,but figured since I drained the carbs there would be none left. Thanks

Old 03-24-2010, 06:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this problem to. Your not supposed to just pour seafoam down your fuel line. Your supposed to pour it in your fuel tank and let it mix so it still ignites. You can pour it in the vaccum line and crankcase though. Its stickier than fuel since its petroleum which is why it may not be starting. 1/3 of the can is how much i put in a full tank of gas. Try cleaning your carbs. If you have to put your bike on a charger and keep trying to start it. Itll eventually catch. When it does take it for a a 20-30 min ride to get everything burnt out and regualr again. Hope this helps.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Default I'll try

Thanks I give it a try tomorrow getting tired of cranking it for most of the afternoon .

Old 03-24-2010, 07:47 PM

your probably going to have to change your plugs to theyre probably fouled now..... i know i would change them

Old 03-24-2010, 08:02 PM
Banned

Yeah first off, it's an entire bottle of seafoam for a 15 or so gallon tank, it's meant for cars. A 1/3 of a container of seafoam is meant to mix with 5 gallons or so of fuel. You didn't mention topping your bike off, and it infact only holds 4 gallons, so you'd have put too much in had you mixed it with a full tank.

So yeah, you went about the process way wrong. Seafoam is a fuel additive. Didn't you at least glance at the directions?

Old 03-25-2010, 11:26 AM

Which Vacuum Line please?! and how do you pour it in the crank case? do you just pour it in the oil?

Old 03-25-2010, 01:22 PM

I'm a HUGE fan of Seafoam and yup, the others are dead on...WAAAAY too much! That stuff cleans the heck out of your carbs and combustion chamber but needs to be properly blended. Some bikes/cars smoke like crazy after treating with Seafoam...that's carbon being removed from combustion chamber, it'll clear up. +1 on replacing plugs.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to find a vaccum line that allows air into all the valves. Im not sure if the vaccum line for your petcock is big enough or if it even goes into all four. I had my carbs off so i was able to pour seafoam directly into my valve area. I had to hook it up to a charger getting it to start but after about 5 mins it fired up. A CRAP ton of smoke.

Yes pour it into your oil then go ride it for 30-40 miles to get it nice and hot let the seafoam soak for about an hour. Then go ride it for another ten miles and change your oil.You MUST change your oil. The reason for this is the seafoam breaks up the carbon in your bike. This in turn is picked up by the oil and ran through the oil filter. The oil filter can only grab so much so if you ride for any longer your just dirtying your motor.

I just did mine and there were small blobs(about the size of ants) through my filter.

Good luck.