F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Front Brake Master Cylinder problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brake Master Cylinder problems

ok, upon doing some weekend work to my bike, i decided i would check the seal on the reservoir because it was occasionally leaking from the cap, when taking off the screws one of the heads broke off. I was wondering what options i had to removed the stuck screw. I can take a picture of it when i get home later to give a more visual aid of problem if needed.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:59 PM

I've heard to use vise grips to try to unscrew the remaining amount of screw thats still sticking out, but from what i've regrettably seen. I will more than likely have to buy a new front master cylinder, another question i had when looking through ebay for used ones. Can i fit a different honda model front master cylinder that looks similar to an F2, or can you only replace with F2's MC's

Old 03-22-2010, 05:43 PM

I had a stuck/stripped screw on the master cylinder, I spent a long time effing with it, ending up throwing far and buying a new one. The new master was probably at least $30 from ebay

Old 03-22-2010, 08:02 PM

how much work/ease is required in putting a new one in?

Old 03-23-2010, 11:53 PM

New master cylinder is real easy to do, just need to bleed the brakes after installation. If you look on the handle bar, everything is accessible and can be taken off with a wrench or socket. It might be 3 bolts

Old 03-24-2010, 12:01 AM

Get a screw extractor from the hardware store. I've used just the extractor bit without drilling them first, too.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Screw extractor from Home Depot or Pepboys. Also known as an Easy Out. I'd recommend going to Home Depot or Lowes AND taking one of the unbroken screws with you.

They're usually more helpful / knowledgeable at the hardware stores. And one of the unbroken screws will help make sure you get the right size kit.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:02 AM

Wife gave me a Grabbit kit for Christmas. It is/was a cheap kit but have four different sizes. I have already pulled a couple of bad bolts out from working on my car. Definitely worth having a kit around if you work on anything even slightly older and/or rusty.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:11 AM

tried using locking pliers but not enough of the bolt was still showing, tried to use a screw extractor and a easy out, sadly the size of the screw made it to where there wasn't a small enough screw extractor or easy out. ended up just using a drill to bore out the old screw. basically planning on getting a used one off of ebay. I was wondering if i get a used one from ebay is it important/required to use a master cylinder rebuild kit?

Old 03-24-2010, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by jmj166
tried using locking pliers but not enough of the bolt was still showing, tried to use a screw extractor and a easy out, sadly the size of the screw made it to where there wasn't a small enough screw extractor or easy out. ended up just using a drill to bore out the old screw. basically planning on getting a used one off of ebay. I was wondering if i get a used one from ebay is it important/required to use a master cylinder rebuild kit?
Personally, I would not trust an Ebay unit without rebuilding it myself.

Quick Reply: Front Brake Master Cylinder problems