F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Riding with one caliper

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 12:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Riding with one caliper

After many months of winter, not wrenching but trying to get my life in shape, I took my beauty out for a ride yesterday. She still needs a carb synch, the exhaust wraps smoked a bit to begin with but she ran. I did notice that one of the front calipers runs hotter than the other even after cleaning it, and I'm worried it will seize up like it did a few times last year. Overhaulin' time. But I was curious too if someone has used the bike with only one front brake caliper (stock). I mean, I don't race but use the bike for city rides and roads where I ride at 100-110 km/h tops. Would it be manageable to use just one caliper?

Old 03-28-2016, 09:44 AM

Yes, there is lots of bikes with one disc on the front. But you would need to put a spacer between the pads and tie the caliper up out of the way. Unless you removed the brake fluid lines and used a single line to the good caliper.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:28 PM

Thanks, Frank. That's a great solution to have in case I have to do some kind of roadside fix just to get back home. Should have thought of the spacer thing myself but hey, sometimes the easiest things are the ones that slip your mind. If I decide to make it permanent, I'll go for the single line option of course.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may notice that the brakes do not work well once half the system is removed. Your master cylinder is valved for a certain amount of fluid flow, and changing the amount of flow can adversely change the feel of the brakes. A change to a 14mm piston may be needed.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:52 AM

I've never done it myself but know someone who did and says that it just makes the initial bite from the breaks more sudden. I guess all the force that's spread out over 2 breaks just goes to one? I can't see it having any adverse effects.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:40 AM

Thanks! I've just received some new, shorter banjo bolts since my two-line setup (the one I got with my LSL handlebar) has a fairly long bolt, so this weekend I'll try using just one and see what it feels like. I'll get back to you with feedback if this is a good idea or not, if I survive that is...

Old 04-17-2016, 11:18 AM

I wouldnt say its a good idea to use one caliper on the front. What I described is what I'd do in a drastic situation if I HAD to use the bike to get somewhere. I would get the brake system working properly come hell or high water as soon as possible.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:15 AM

ditto what the coal miner said. at the end of the day,it was designed with 2 breaks up from :/

Old 04-18-2016, 12:58 PM

I appreciate your concern, and I totally agree with you. The more I think about it, the more I tend to go for the option of just fixing the caliper causing the problems...

Old 04-19-2016, 04:47 AM

just out of curiosity, how did you identify which caliper was causing issues?

Quick Reply: Riding with one caliper