F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Oil-drenched engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 12:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why is it always the simplest things that turn into the most time consuming? For example, getting the rubber cover to fit over the spark plugs and fan? The connecting part of the wiring is pretty easy, but fitting everything inside the space in the front is not. Oh, I need some help by the way. The bolt I have marked with a red ring (the bolt is removed for this pic) is supposed to clampdown a shoe that according to the schematics goes to a ground point. My question is... which? Can I attach this clamp to any point in the engine or is it supposed to go to the ground point on the plate that the R/R is attached to? I cannot remember this simple detail, and I can't even find the earth cable... So close, yet so far away...

Old 04-11-2015, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a ground wire running directly to negative on battery.

Name:  WP_20150411_002.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  146.9 KB

Last edited by Existenz_is; 04-12-2015 at 01:40 AM.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:19 AM

Thanks! In my mind, I had this vision that it was supposed to go to a point in the frame but I guess I was wrong.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:20 PM

I really need to get in gear. Yours is nearly done, mine is still a mess.
I'm still scrubbing off years of crud and buildup, stripping paint on wheels and messing with wires.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:01 AM

Hehe, don't feel bad, Existenz_is. I still have the fitting of the wiring inside the frame to work out, and that is a paaaain! And I have the connecting of the new Acewell to do too but that is pretty straightforward through. My biggest concern is if the engine will leak oil or not. I followed the Haynes to the point (which I regularly don't) but I'm still worried that the gasket won't hold up.

Anyways, I have to get a move on because I am about to sell my KTM EXC 450 the upcoming weekend and I would like to know that the Honda works. At least one bike in running condition is essential in my happiness.

Oh, by the way, I scrubbed 23 years of non-cleaning at some places... Brass brushes and for some parts steel wires, and CRC engine clean. Rinse. Repeat... I don't envy you at all.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:09 AM

Does anyone have a good photo of the battery with its connectors? According to the diagram, the connector from the starter motor is supposed to go to the starter relay and the negative on the battery to the frame. Is that right?

Old 04-18-2015, 09:52 PM

Name:  WP_20150411_001.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  157.9 KB

Look at page 17-5 in the manual. It shows a proper diagram showing the ground cable attached to the bolt on the starter. The other end of it attaches to the negative on the battery. Page 15-4 shows it attaching to the battery.
The positive is also shown on 15-4, where it runs first to the starter relay, then on to the starter under that little boot.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:10 AM

Thanks again! I took a wild guess and connected it like that, but the reason I got confused was that I lack that cable to from the bolt. Without it as a guide, I was in the dark, but then I bought one of this flat earth cables, insulated it with electrical tape and connected/soldered eye lugs to it and then it was more obvious. I wasn't sure though,vdue to the fact that the wiring harness diagram shows different grounds, but logical thinking (or desperation) convinced me that a ground is a ground and that everything connected (engine, frame) is the same ground. Thanks for the clarifying this!

Progress report: I am nearly done connecting the Acewell speedometer to the harness. For some reason, I got the right turn signals to work but when flashing left, it was the headlight and plate light that flashed and not the turn signal. I checked all the connections both for the Acewell and the wiring harness and everything seemed to be in order, so I disconnected and reconnected everything except the a few of the functions of the Acewell and now it works. Blew a few fuses in the process too. I guess there were cross connections somewhere, since the headlight shouldn't be connected to the flasher relay in that sense.

Here is a pic where I try out the lighting of the Acewell with a spare battery:

Old 04-19-2015, 09:11 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The gauge looks great, I can't tell you how good it is to see another fighter here.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:11 PM

Thanks, Conrice! I'm glad you like it.

I found out why I kept blowing fuses today: never ever let wires hang freely when trying to figure out the right way to connect things. They kept touching each other and the grounded engine, that's why everything was shorted. When I discovered that, the rest was pretty easy.

More can be read here:
Link to my build blog

Quick Reply: Oil-drenched engine