F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

larger rotors of F2 rims

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 10:49 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default larger rotors of F2 rims

I have the F2 front end and was told the 296mm rotors from the 1000cc Hurricane would bolt on but F3 calipers are required for braking.

Tried this but there isn't enough room for the F3 caliper to bolt to the fork, is there a way for this combination to work?

Making a set of caliper holders is an option but I was looking for a direct boly on solution.

Thanks Jim

Old 05-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Registered Users

If you install F3 front rim on F2 forks brake mods are required

Would F3 calipers bolt up on F2 lowers?

Old 05-23-2012, 08:57 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jkotsi
...Making a set of caliper holders is an option but I was looking for a direct boly on solution...Thanks Jim
I have scoured CBR forums, and aftermarket companies offerings online, and I can pretty much guarantee you that a bolt on solution for adapting F3 calipers to the F2 fork is not available, unless someone did what you might do, and fabbed 'em themselves. If the material and machinery is accessible to you "on the cheap", then making something would probably be the only way.

Originally Posted by jkotsi
If you install F3 front rim on F2 forks brake mods are required

Would F3 calipers bolt up on F2 lowers?
For multiple reasons, the F3 rim cannot be installed on the F2, without extensive modification which defeats the purpose - meaning, most folks that first are seeking an F3 rim, either ditch the idea, or they simply end up transplanting the whole F3 front end: forks, triples, rim, discs, calipers, the works. This gives you MUCH better braking, and MUCH better forks, due to them having cartridge style forks, with more adjustability. Now, you neglected to mention what year your F2 is, so I should mention that the '94 F2 does have cartridge forks already, but the F3's are still superior.

All that said, If all your looking for is better braking, and don't want to perform a full transplant of the F3 front end (though these front ends do show up pretty affordable, here and there) you could install braided stainless steel lines, along with some good pads, purge all your old fluid, and bleed the system very well, with the new fluid - doing these things alone, for me, resulted in a "night and day" in difference braking, where the rear wheel sometimes comes up pretty regularly during hard braking.
Further, to reduce the rotors warping under consistent heavy braking (on track), I installed EBC 310mm floating rotors on my F2, using the EBC caliper relocation brackets to accomodate the new larger circumference...it looks sweet, too, I think anyway!! Check out my build thread below to see that setup.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Registered Users

Thanks JNS.

Read through you build thread, great work on the F2.

My plan was to install a set of F2 1991 forks on a CB900F for vintage racing using the F2 rim with larger rotors.

The vintage class restricts cartridge internals but Race Tech emulators are allowed, I have the Gold Valves, new springs, seals and bushings. I also have a 94 F2 set of forks but I don't think there are true/straight.

The pads are EBC HH with stainless lines on both F2 and F3 calipers

It looks like the best route is to follow your set up. The rotors look like ST1100's size.

I will likely sell off the 296mm solid rotors and pick up the 310 floaters, looks like a great setup.

Thanks again, Jim.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:02 AM

I'm glad I could give you some useable info - good luck!

Old 08-31-2014, 03:52 PM

I have a F2/F3 "Bitza" front end (F3 tubes, F3 cartridges, F2 lowers, F2 wheel and calipers), and am also looking for better braking.

Did you ever determine what "donor" bike the 310mm rotor comes off of? There is so much nonsense on Ebay, and the rest of the web, and most sellers don't really even know what they are selling, and offer "stock" photos, etc.

I have also had one heck of a time trying to find the EBC caliper relocation brackets (P/N: BRK15S).

Any leads on these?
Thanks-

Old 09-01-2014, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Phaedroah
...Did you ever determine what "donor" bike the 310mm rotor comes off of?
All I remember is that they are from a Triumph, but what year and model, I couldn't tell you - I would just give EBC USA a call, at 818-362-5534 - I'm sure they could answer the question of which Triumph model they are for.

Originally Posted by Phaedroah
I have also had one heck of a time trying to find the EBC caliper relocation brackets (P/N: BRK15S)... Any leads on these?
Thanks-
You definitely will NOT have an easy time finding those - it seems like there is no availability,,, at all... ANYWHERE! Again, give EBC a call - maybe they'll have a line on some.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ferodo used to make oversize rotor kit for the F2. Havent seen any in a loooooong time.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:43 AM

Well heck--if that's right, it'll be easy. The Bonneville/T100/and Scrambler all use a 310mm rotor, whereas the Thruxton uses a 320mm rotor.
I'll check on the bolt pattern, and post back on what I find.
Thanks for the info.

Update: You nailed it. The Triumph Bonneville (2001-on, but NOT the SE model) seems to share the same bolt spacing with the F2 front wheel. There may be other models that are the same, too. Now to find some caliper relocation brackets.

I can't believe how many pieces from a Honda fit the Bonneville. It's almost as if John Bloor sat down with the Honda executives and said, "I'm building a bare bones retro racer, and I need to make sure that it shares the geometry with a solid sport bike, because you know these Bonnie folks; they like to tinker."

Last edited by Phaedroah; 09-02-2014 at 06:58 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
Ferodo used to make oversize rotor kit for the F2. Havent seen any in a loooooong time.
I've got the Ferodo 310mm setup on my 1991 F2. The kit came with caliper reLocater brackets.

Quick Reply: larger rotors of F2 rims