F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Just bot a F2 1992 for cheep

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Just bot a F2 1992 for cheep

Hi all, just bhot a 1992, any thing i should check for? Any common problems like the crack in the frame of the hurricanes?

Last edited by Emmanuel Lind Chrisalos; 09-22-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything you should check, hmmmmm, let me see...................a, everything.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:24 AM

I got mine for $300, and it was dumped twice, i literally am going through everything. Just rebuilt the fork internals, all new engine gaskets, fully went through the carbs, new throttle cables, countless hrs of body work, by the end though it'll be fully done up.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:00 PM
Old 03-01-2018, 07:00 PM

Generally weak points are Reg/Rec, it'll show up as charging issues - hard to start, you'll keep getting dead batteries. Also the cam chain tensioner is knowing for wear, resulting in cam chain noise.

Other than that I'd take a look at brakes, tires, suspension for leaks and or squeaks at the rear, worn or leaking fork seals at the front. I'd check the steering head bearings for noise - they will creak and or start binding if very worn - not what you want but it can be fixed. Check coolant color and condition, cooling fan operation, does the gauge work does it over heat? Check oil level, color and condition. If you can compression and leakdown test will tell you how the engine is. Generally these are pretty tough - My F2 has 61,000 miles and it is fantastic, runs and rides smooth - that said it needs a clutch and a fuel tap rebuild, I have parts coming for it.

I would suggest a full service on a machine with unknown history - replace oil and fuel filters, air filter if its due/dirty, change the oil, flush cooling system, new thermostat. Additionally valve clearance check, go over the carbs, and synchronise if you wish, if its running nice I wouldn't worry doing it asap. This way you know what is done when, and you'll have a reliable smooth running machine. A shop manual is valuable but you can find service info on here.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:15 PM

FYI, you can't really tell the condition of the coolant by looks, unless it's so gummed up with rust or oil that its condition is obvious. Again, with aluminum engines, you do NOT want to **** around with crappy coolant, as the properties that make it safe for aluminum engines and protect from electrolysis (the latter being something that few seem to understand the importance of) will wear out long before you see anything by noting the color of the fluid. If the age of the coolant is unknown, it's way past time for a flush and fill.

Been working on liquid cooled aluminum engines since the mid-70's, and I have lots of horror stories. I'll spare ya that here and simply state that this advice is ignored at your peril. A couple of hours and less than $50 will save you untold grief and hundreds of $$ down the road.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by EchoWars
FYI, you can't really tell the condition of the coolant by looks, unless it's so gummed up with rust or oil that its condition is obvious. Again, with aluminum engines, you do NOT want to **** around with crappy coolant, as the properties that make it safe for aluminum engines and protect from electrolysis (the latter being something that few seem to understand the importance of) will wear out long before you see anything by noting the color of the fluid. If the age of the coolant is unknown, it's way past time for a flush and fill.

Been working on liquid cooled aluminum engines since the mid-70's, and I have lots of horror stories. I'll spare ya that here and simply state that this advice is ignored at your peril. A couple of hours and less than $50 will save you untold grief and hundreds of $$ down the road.
I know. I meant usually with older bikes expect someone to use plain water with no antifreeze coolant with it. I've seen a few between mine and other cheap old bikes me and my friends have worked with. Probably should have said that. Most of the older bikes, apart from my F2 have had just plain old water. Modern 50/50 mixes are likely to be the best - check first before you get it. Sound advice +1 with flush and fill saves overheating. Replace radiator cap and thermostat as well if you like. I go with "If its a maintenance item - replace it." Unless it has already been done, or the person can tell me when it was last done and it is still within service life.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:03 PM

Too bad...you really have to be exceptionally clueless to use straight water in a bike engine.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:30 AM

Any recommendation on coolant? Im running yamaha coolant but thats cause they were out of honda coolant.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:51 PM