F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Info on new sprocket sizes

Old 03-25-2012, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info on new sprocket sizes

Well guys and gals I'm getting close to being done with my rebuild of my F2 and I was wondering the sprockets that I had on stock (as Far as I know) are 14T-front and 43T-rear with a chain that has 54 links in it. Now last season it had some pick up and go and topped out around 140mph. I was wondering besides the obvious of working on the engine what size sprockets should I go to get more acceleration but not sacrifice my top end. Honestly I would like to increase both acceleration and top speed. I plan on taking a few trips down the local drag strip this year and a couple of bike race tracks. And I don't want to keep changing the sprockets for each event. So if anyone can give me a helping hand in finding the happy medium I would greatly appreciate it.
And always happy riding season.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+2 in the rear

Old 03-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2

Sorry but you can't do both. It's either, apply the torque to the top or to the bottom
end. Track vs drags are two entirely different applications. To excell at either,
you're going to have to dial it in to the job. As far as what's the best for each,
talk to your fellow racers in each genre, see what their running.

But the happy medium is the stock gearing.

By the way, are you sure that isn't a 108 count on the chain? Other-wise, that's
the teensy-weensyest chain I've heard of on a bike. lol

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 03-26-2012, 09:31 PM

^^^lmao. Ya, i went +2 in the rear for more wheelie time and not sacraficing highway speeds. My friend went like -2 +5 on his r6 and he's pretty much at 12k going 80mph

Old 03-27-2012, 03:28 AM

Stock is 15/43 so yeah 15/45 would be a good compromise. If you go any lower in the front I reckon it will quickly knacker your chain.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
Sorry but you can't do both. It's either, apply the torque to the top or to the bottom
end. Track vs drags are two entirely different applications. To excell at either,
you're going to have to dial it in to the job. As far as what's the best for each,
talk to your fellow racers in each genre, see what their running.

But the happy medium is the stock gearing.

By the way, are you sure that isn't a 108 count on the chain? Other-wise, that's
the teensy-weensyest chain I've heard of on a bike. lol

Hope this helps, Ern
I had a feeling you were gonna say that about the happy medium being stock but I appreciate the help and knowledge you shared.

And ya it is a 108 count for the chain I forgot to double the number when I only counted half of it.

On the plus side I do believe I found that I want to stick with the 14 teeth up front and probably go to 45 teeth in the rear. Only question is how bad is that gonna hurt my mileage for long rides?

Old 04-05-2012, 02:32 PM

So I have been doing research for finding the oem sprocket sizes and I keep getting two different sizes for front it's either 14 teeth or 15 teeth so which one is it?

Old 04-05-2012, 03:13 PM

should be 14

Old 04-06-2012, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by JankCibberf2
should be 14
So if I do go +2 in the rear what differences in performance will I notice and how will it effect the gas mileage if it does?

If ya couldn't tell I'm highly new to the whole changing gear sizes.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:59 AM

Performance? Well my craps been rejetted for the exhaust system an intake, plus I have no fairings but wot in first will pick the bike up, 1st to 2nd will hop the bike a little. And clutch ups in 2nd are super easy. Gas mileage? Seeing how my bike was getting 30 when I first for it due to the poor condition from the po I have no idea but it's better with a new motor and electrical system. Im just now running gauges again so I have no idea what my fuel is nor do I care

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Info on new sprocket sizes