F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

I now see why everyone goes to the GSXR rectifier over the OEM style one...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 03:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I now see why everyone goes to the GSXR rectifier over the OEM style one...

Aftermarket but OEM style is on the left. GSXR rectifier is on the right. One of them is tiny, and has wimpy heat sinks, the other one means serious business.

Lesson learned for sure on these now.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

What's your point?
My Honda unit is 20 years old and still working just fine, every day.
Both units have the same number of fins, one is bigger than the other. So? The conclusion is what?

Old 10-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Old 10-03-2011, 06:18 AM

Wow they both look prehistoric, my aftermarket one doesn't have heat sinks but it stays cool, must be just oem ones that are crap.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My original one stills works fine but my bike has pretty low mileage, so in theroy its not that old. But I did buy a suzuki one just for a raining day.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:19 PM

It's pretty easy to solder the GSXR unit into place, and when it comes to dissipating generated heat it really cannot be beat.

The F2 in question fried it's OEM R/R, and I picked it up off a guy who had no idea why the bike was dead. Sure enough some basic testing demonstrated that the bike was fine it was just the R/R. I slapped an aftermarket unit in, and it burnt up. Testing clearly pointed towards the unit failing.

The GSXR unit so far is holding strong!

Old 10-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Ok Jesse,
thanks. Sorry I sounded a bit terse last night. I just couldn't fathom the rational behind installing something the size of a chest of drawers to replace a reasonably compact OEM unit. Apart from that I was very tired after a whole day spent on the bike catching up on some overdue maintenance.
I know people have problems with R/R's frying. I guess I've just been lucky.
Hope the Gixer unit lasts.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by HenryM
Ok Jesse,
thanks. Sorry I sounded a bit terse last night. I just couldn't fathom the rational behind installing something the size of a chest of drawers to replace a reasonably compact OEM unit. Apart from that I was very tired after a whole day spent on the bike catching up on some overdue maintenance.
I know people have problems with R/R's frying. I guess I've just been lucky.
Hope the Gixer unit lasts.
The OEM units are notorius for failing, which is why people have found other options. My bike still has the original, which IIRC has no aluminum fins on it. I can feel my leg get really hot some days from the heat. So far I have been lucky at 43,000 miles, but I have a GSXR unit for the eventuality.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by MikeInCtown
My bike still has the original, which IIRC has no aluminum fins on it.
They do not. The one pictured is the ricks aftermarket one, which is the same size but adds cooling fins in an effort to avoid overheating as well.

The GSXR unit is vastly superior in the cooling department. On the GSXR it's mounted in a location that gets a lot of air though. On the F2 not only is it out of way of free airflow, but it's on the frame which has been known to heat up as well.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:15 PM

I should add that the GSXR unit was based around dissipating the known heat to occur in the part as effectively as possible. The newer units maybe compact, but they just don't last.

Quick Reply: I now see why everyone goes to the GSXR rectifier over the OEM style one...