F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Bike runs fine for first 10-15 min then dies

Old 04-18-2011, 01:36 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike runs fine for first 10-15 min then dies

Hello, I'm a new member here, and also relatively new to the riding community. Before the winter came I was have some problems with my 600f2, in that it would be running fine while i was riding it and then at random the rpm's would start to drop off while it was riding, or if i was giving it gas it would start to bog down and then die. I read through a bunch of posts here and most recommended to clean the carbs so I did. Now I have the bike all reassembled and after letting it idle for 10 minutes or so its happening again. If I give it any gas it immediately cuts out once the RPM's have dropped enough. The strange thing is once it has sat for 5 minutes or so it starts up just fine and runs perfectly again. Any advice is much appreciated.

Last edited by Sprock; 04-18-2011 at 11:19 PM. Reason: f2 moved and tidied up
Old 04-19-2011, 12:57 AM

Do you use the choke to start your bike? When do you turn it off?

I had similar issues with my bike when I first got it and after cleaning the carbs. The carb sync and adjustment of the idle mixture made my problems go away. Setting the idle when the bike has warmed up sufficiently, with choke off, is also very important. The more you run these carbureted engines, the smoother they perform.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Possibility that your RR is wigging out, dropping off, and bike is running only on the battery til it gets too weak to give a good spark?

Old 04-19-2011, 11:59 AM

It sounds like the gas tank vent tube is clogged. It happened to me many years ago on my F2. If this is true, you will hear air rushing in to the tank when you open the gas cap soon after the engine dies. A vacuum is created after riding a few minutes because the fuel level goes down and the air pressure cannot equalize. This will prevent fuel flow to the carb.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Registered Users

@damuho, I did set the idle after it had warmed up with the choke off, but the carbs havent been synced since i bought it so I think I may get that done.

@adrenalynjunky, I forgot to mention this but before when it would die while i was riding it, it would seem like the battery was dead and wouldnt turn over, but 5 minutes later it would be fully charged

Old 04-19-2011, 04:30 PM

The battery cannot be charging in the 5 minutes that the bike is not running so I think it's still a fuel delivery issue. When it does die again, see if you have fuel in the float bowls. If you don't have fuel in the bowls when the bike dies, maybe fuel flow to the carbs is very slow due to a petcock problem (the valve operated by the vacuum from carb#1 isn't working properly) or as Converted Rice has stated, you may have a plugged tank vent hose.

The plugged vent hose matches the symptoms you have described. You can run the bike but it will start to sputter as you run out of fuel in the carbs. When the bike stops to run, the vacuum created in the tank will need to be relieved for fuel to flow into the carbs again. When the bike is about to die (while parked), you can try opening the tank cap with a second key and see if the bike recovers. Then you know for sure that you have some vents to clear up.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by damuho
The battery cannot be charging in the 5 minutes that the bike is not running so I think it's still a fuel delivery issue. When it does die again, see if you have fuel in the float bowls. If you don't have fuel in the bowls when the bike dies, maybe fuel flow to the carbs is very slow due to a petcock problem (the valve operated by the vacuum from carb#1 isn't working properly) or as Converted Rice has stated, you may have a plugged tank vent hose.

The plugged vent hose matches the symptoms you have described. You can run the bike but it will start to sputter as you run out of fuel in the carbs. When the bike stops to run, the vacuum created in the tank will need to be relieved for fuel to flow into the carbs again. When the bike is about to die (while parked), you can try opening the tank cap with a second key and see if the bike recovers. Then you know for sure that you have some vents to clear up.
Thanks for the help so far guys, I will give that a try, whats the best way to go about it?

Old 04-20-2011, 06:30 AM

You will see the vent orifice when you open the gas cap. I think I used a thin zip-tie that was about a foot long to clear the blockage. Problem solved.