Europe, Asia, South America, Africa, Austrailia, Antarctica Everywhere that isnt in North America

Hello any in the midlands

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 02:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cake, chips, coke and motorbikes? Definately a man out to enjoy life then I take it?

As for everyone trying to kill you... I'm riding in Coventry. Everyone really IS out to kill you. Barely anyone indicates, taxi drivers on the ring-road are insane and I've already had to do a real-life emergency stop thanks to some idiot in a Megane. I got cut up really badly on monday by a black Civic on a roundabout thanks to roadworks and him being in the wrong lane. I've only been riding since 1st July!

Pretty sound advice all round there, cheers I'm off for a lesson on a 500cc bike on tuesday and I've read through the police motorcyclist's guide to roadcraft (really recommend this book for other new starters). Not so sure about track days yet though, but once I get something a bit bigger and faster I'm sure I'll change my tune. Are you going all-out on modifying the 900RR for the track, or keeping it modest?

I'll let you know if I'm out and about; sunday is my riding for fun day.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by butcherspencil
Cake, chips, coke and motorbikes? Definately a man out to enjoy life then I take it?

As for everyone trying to kill you... I'm riding in Coventry. Everyone really IS out to kill you. Barely anyone indicates, taxi drivers on the ring-road are insane and I've already had to do a real-life emergency stop thanks to some idiot in a Megane. I got cut up really badly on monday by a black Civic on a roundabout thanks to roadworks and him being in the wrong lane. I've only been riding since 1st July!

Pretty sound advice all round there, cheers I'm off for a lesson on a 500cc bike on tuesday and I've read through the police motorcyclist's guide to roadcraft (really recommend this book for other new starters). Not so sure about track days yet though, but once I get something a bit bigger and faster I'm sure I'll change my tune. Are you going all-out on modifying the 900RR for the track, or keeping it modest?

The inner ring of terror. First time i visited coventry my head nearly fell off with all the looking left and right that needed doing to survive the concrete jungle.
I guess you ride your bike to work from what you've said. Must make life easier from a time point of view in a city. From what you've said earlier i guess you wear bright girly coloured protection but that don't matter when Mr and Mrs running late for work ain't looking. Be safe out there.
So are you looking at doing your big bike test soon. Good luck. It's easier to ride a bigger bike than a 125. You'll see what i mean soon and when you've passed bigger distances won't be a problem.
The 900rr is staying standard. Just want to have fun at 40. Once next year is done I'll sell RED on to a new home.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:21 PM

Yeah you need a rubber neck in this place! It's why I've ended up with the girly pink gear; I wanted bright, colourful stuff so that I'd stand out a bit more in the traffic. Ladies' gear seems to come mostly in either plain black, or black and pink. I went hell for leather with the pink. Sometimes it gets the wrong kind of attention, but you can't win them all.

A lot of people have told me that bigger bikes are easier rides than 125's. It is actually pretty relieving to hear and cheers for the good wishes! Ride safe out there, hopefully not in head-to-toe black leathers + helmet

Old 10-16-2012, 05:23 AM

Yeah you need a rubber neck in this place! It's why I've ended up with the girly pink gear; I wanted bright, colourful stuff so that I'd stand out a bit more in the traffic. Ladies' gear seems to come mostly in either plain black, or black and pink. I went hell for leather with the pink. Sometimes it gets the wrong kind of attention, but you can't win them all.

A lot of people have told me that bigger bikes are easier rides than 125's. It is actually pretty relieving to hear and cheers for the good wishes! Ride safe out there, hopefully not in head-to-toe black leathers + helmet
You guessed right. Black black with a splash of black on my black bike.
My 1 piece leathers are for the track and they are silver and white with matching helmet.
I only ride in the sun so black is ok for my needs. If I started to ride at night I'd definitely add some bright colours.
See you in the sun on a fun Sunday.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:23 PM

How did the big bike riding get on? What did you ride? When you taking your test?

Old 10-20-2012, 02:15 PM

Lol I was just popping on here to let you know I'll probably be somewhere in the Banbury/Chipping Norton area tomorrow so long as the weather holds up!

The lesson went great! I was really nervous about it and felt really anxious until I pulled out of the industrial estate. It was a CBF500 and the upright riding position was unfamiliar, my short little arms could reach the grips but my sleeves were riding up ridiculously and it was just so much bigger and broader than my little 125. Not quite as barrel-like as my ex's CB750, but I couldn't put the flats of both feet on the ground at the same time.

It was fine as soon as I got right out onto the open road though. It was a dry, sunny but very windy day. I'd been battling crosswinds on the way to the school on the 125, but the 500 was fantastically well-planted. And faster. And a million miles smoother. Within two minutes I was on a 40mph road and had decided that I liked it very much

I'm going in for my part one in mid November. So long as I don't stuff it up, I might be buying myself a CBR600F as a Christmas present to myself!

Cheers for asking how I got on; I think my workmates are getting sick of hearing about motorbikes!

Also, if you fancy a laugh I found this thread on another forum. Whenever I feel like a complete rank ameteur I read this and reassure myself that actually; I'm not doing half bad. Bike won't start after using NOS fuel additive : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com

I'll keep an eye out for a Mr CBR All-Black when I'm out and about

Old 10-22-2012, 06:18 AM
July 2014 ROTM
Thumbs up midlands covered

Well from the east mids I have just about covered most of it recently. On various trips I have been to this month

Nottingham, Derby, Selby, Northampton, Kidderminster, Worcester, Matlock, coventry, Melton Mowbray, Grantham, Lincoln, Alrewas, Swadlincote

Few others passed enroute but the list keeps growing with this unusually unseasonal weather we gotta cover the miles while we can.

keep sunny side up people

Rick

Old 10-23-2012, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bugkiller
Well from the east mids I have just about covered most of it recently. On various trips I have been to this month

Nottingham, Derby, Selby, Northampton, Kidderminster, Worcester, Matlock, coventry, Melton Mowbray, Grantham, Lincoln, Alrewas, Swadlincote

Few others passed enroute but the list keeps growing with this unusually unseasonal weather we gotta cover the miles while we can.

keep sunny side up people

Rick
I think you just jinxed us with the weather! Foggy, drizzly and grey lovely weather for riding to work in.

I wave or nod to everyone anyway, but I'll keep an eye out for you. It would be awesome to spot someone off the forum out on the road.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:08 AM
July 2014 ROTM
Question 11th November ride

If anyone is interested we are doing a ride from Derby to the National Memorial Arboretum, Alrewas on the 11th for rememberance day service.

Anyone interested here are the details Premier Inn, The Wyvern, Stanier Way, Derby DE21 6BF from 0815. Aiming to leave by 0830. This will get us to the NMA about 0900. Route will be down the A38 for those wanting to join en route.

Cheers

Rich

Old 11-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suppose Mansfield/Nottingham area comes into the midlands, so I'm in as well.

I will be looking for ride outs whenever possible once I get the bike sorted so I'll give you all a shout.

Matlock isn't too far from me, about a nice 30min ride and the roads to it are decent so once winter is over and the bike has been overhauled I will be out there.

Hope to see some of you when the weather improves.

Quick Reply: Hello any in the midlands