Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polish frame, sub frame & swing arm...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 08:20 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Polish frame, sub frame & swing arm...

Hi everyone, what a good way to refresh the appearance of polish metal. Bike's frame and swing arm was polish 6 years ago, I've notice the swing arm is showing signs of dullness... Just want anyone's suggestions....thank you in advance

Old 02-19-2012, 09:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Flitz & Turtle Wax polishes are both very good.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by casvg5
800grit>1000>2000 then mothers mag wheel polish
https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-900rr...-120403/page8/

Estate, if your bike like mine then polishing alone won't get the job done.

need to wet sand using the steps in the quote above from casvg5.
I went thru his excellent build thread above and sanded/polished every single bolt on my bike. came out great.

my frame and swingarm were professionally polished 14 years ago but I was getting "age spots" on my frame and swingarm now so I redid swingarm which came out ok, not great, I need to 2nd attempt it. I didn't use a sanding block and I think that would have made the difference.

frame next to do once I'm happy with swingarm. I tested a small section on the frame and it came out excellent. got rid of the spots.

also my exhaust was getting too many scratches from road debris etc so I sanded it. came out pretty good. looks better than before.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:13 AM
February 2012 ROTM

Thanks splash!!! Yeah I wish my bike is like your (scheme) I was shooting for red white & blue from the start but can't find one?? That's why I settle for 94'...but luv it regardless...

I'm planing to disassemble to tail section, shave to pegs, replace key cowl & replace battery tray...then a good renewal of polish using your steps above...great info/knowledge, thanks bro!!!

Originally Posted by splash
https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-900rr...-120403/page8/

Estate, if your bike like mine then polishing alone won't get the job done.

need to wet sand using the steps in the quote above from casvg5.
I went thru his excellent build thread above and sanded/polished every single bolt on my bike. came out great.

my frame and swingarm were professionally polished 14 years ago but I was getting "age spots" on my frame and swingarm now so I redid swingarm which came out ok, not great, I need to 2nd attempt it. I didn't use a sanding block and I think that would have made the difference.

frame next to do once I'm happy with swingarm. I tested a small section on the frame and it came out excellent. got rid of the spots.

also my exhaust was getting too many scratches from road debris etc so I sanded it. came out pretty good. looks better than before.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you do decide to go the sanding method, start on a small piece first to see what effort is needed to get the right result before starting on something like frame or swingarm.

I unscrewd a gas cap bolt and did that. when I got that looking nice, I did the rest. then because the gas cap itself had some marks on it, I polished the outer ring. I left the inner cap original and I really liked the contrast so I stopped there. (+ the fact that because it has a durable finish on it - clearcoat? - it was a bitch and a half to sand off. I started at 400 grit>800>1000>2000>polish)

Name:  IMG_0760.jpg
Views: 1910
Size:  46.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0761.jpg
Views: 1880
Size:  51.7 KB

then I did the fairing bolts, inner fairing bolts, tail section bolts (even the under tail screws), front tank mount bolt, exhaust hanger bolt and washers, brake line bolt and lower part of brake line guide that attaches to swingarm, front and rear axle bolts, fork bolts, caliper bolts, rear brake piston assembly (bolt, pin, rod, nut). phew, I'm tired of sanding again.

then I tackled the swingarm and exhaust. and when the weather gets crappy for riding here (summer rains) I'll do the frame and redo the swingarm.

but still looks good enough for me till then.

good luck if you do it. lots of sweat equity but result worth the effort.

Name:  CapsPlace01b.jpg
Views: 2245
Size:  157.0 KB

Old 03-12-2012, 05:13 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Talking 600-1000-2000 - polishing metal

Hey Splash!

Awesome! works great! I even got those nicks & dings out! On a normal dull surface w/o scratches, i just go with 1000 grit then 2000 grit. Then polish with MOTHER MAG POLISH....damn dude, it shine so much my eyes hurt..... NICE!!!.

With deeper scratches, I can go 400 - 600 - 800 - 1000 - 2000...

Wow, works like magic! Great find! live & learn!

Originally Posted by splash
if you do decide to go the sanding method, start on a small piece first to see what effort is needed to get the right result before starting on something like frame or swingarm.

I unscrewd a gas cap bolt and did that. when I got that looking nice, I did the rest. then because the gas cap itself had some marks on it, I polished the outer ring. I left the inner cap original and I really liked the contrast so I stopped there. (+ the fact that because it has a durable finish on it - clearcoat? - it was a bitch and a half to sand off. I started at 400 grit>800>1000>2000>polish)

then I did the fairing bolts, inner fairing bolts, tail section bolts (even the under tail screws), front tank mount bolt, exhaust hanger bolt and washers, brake line bolt and lower part of brake line guide that attaches to swingarm, front and rear axle bolts, fork bolts, caliper bolts, rear brake piston assembly (bolt, pin, rod, nut). phew, I'm tired of sanding again.

then I tackled the swingarm and exhaust. and when the weather gets crappy for riding here (summer rains) I'll do the frame and redo the swingarm.

but still looks good enough for me till then.

good luck if you do it. lots of sweat equity but result worth the effort.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im going to try

i plan to attempt this very soon i know patience is the key, where do you normally buy the sand paper? is all the sanding done wet? my frame was polished years ago but sat out in the open when it was stolen for over a year i was able to get most of the corrosion off with steel wool and blue magic polish.I want a mirror finish on swingarm,frame,forks any part aluminum or polishable. for days i have been searching about polishing and never knew steel could be polished until now.Great thread!

Old 11-29-2013, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn that 900rr looks awesome. This ones going in the bookmarks.