Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

baby wipes to clean helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 04:43 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default baby wipes to clean helmet?

Last night I was taking a little midnight tour and was absolutely pummeled with insects. I started thinking about different ways to clean my visor on the go that will fit in my pocket. As it happens we have an endless supply of baby butt wipes at home and I thought if those will remove the bugs from the visor as they cost next to nothing compared to commercial products spesific for the job. I tried googling and found some that uses them but the conversation quickly turned so that one said they leave a greasy smear, second says no they don't and the next answer is you're supposed to use them before wiping your rear etc...

My main concern is will they attack my mirror finished visor? And will they do any good or just smear the crap around even more. I guess anything that's sensitive enough to wipe your baby's hiney won't damage the plastic visor and any smears could be wiped off with some paper from the other pocket. I HATE having hard bottles etc in my pocket while riding, I even leave my wallet at home and just take the cards and license with me so don't wanna carry a spray bottle.

What's your take?

Old 07-21-2014, 06:59 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has occurred to me in the past as well Matti, not used them personally, but I'll be interested to see what the consensus is.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:40 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

Currently having a helmet crusted with bugs I decided to volunteer as a guinea pig.

Wipes used: Toujours baby wipes from Lidl. Don`t remember what they cost but the 80 wipe box is a few EUR compared to for example MOTOREX viso clean that has six wet and six dry wipes for 7,80 (notice they too have the polishing cloth)

99% of the bugs came off with just a few wipes, some of the most stubborn ones stayed on even after a light scrubbing though. And yes the fabulouz camera is borrowed from my wife

Quick polish with a c-fold paper hand towel. I must say I`m still gonna use the spray foam at home cause the wipes left a few bugs and some very light shadows in the visor, but for the money saved I must say, for a field application the result is very much adequate.

Used two wipes to wipe the whole front of the helmet.

Last edited by Mattson; 08-09-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:49 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

You will need to see if anything happens to the coating on the visor after many uses.

I still would rather coat the visor ahead of time so the bugs don't stuck as much. Damn good thing you had the visor down. That's quite a bit of splatter!

Nice wall of axes... I like the BC Rich. I always am drawn to the warlock bass. Someday I will have one and get back to trying to play it.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:06 PM

Not a Rich. ESP LTD AX 50.

Someday I will get back to trying to play it.
me too...

The angle was somewhat unintentional as I was trying to get the reflection of the white roof with the fluorescent tube behind me. But as said if they are sensitive enough for a baby`s butt I`d reckon they won`t hurt the visor. Probly gonna do a longer test on the same visor, will report back if something happens, and specially if not.

Didn`t have it down all the time as I was riding in backwoods roads at midnight, see pics here. Was constantly juggling between not seeing well thru the smoke visor and getting my eyes full of bugs. Next time deffy gonna swap the clear on for a night ride, left in a bit of a spur-of-the-momet hurry.

Last edited by Mattson; 07-21-2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: the not teh...
Old 07-21-2014, 06:55 PM
July 2014 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Cover the flies

Hi guys,

Rather than trying to wipe 'hardened' bugs off, try laying the wipe over your visor and gently push it onto the surface. Leave for five minutes then one wipe will remove them. The soaking makes then easier to remove. Then use dry cloth to remove any wet wipe smears.

Hope this helps

Old 07-21-2014, 10:57 PM

Yea I had a feeling some of the big bugs will be a bit stuck since they had about 20h to dry into the visor, I'd suspect fresh ones will wipe clean out on the road.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:58 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I carry a small spray bottle of Windolene in my jacket. Gets rid of even the stickiest bugs.......a quick wipe with a cloth and good to go again
(It also helps to polish your visor with furniture polish - the layer of wax is a big help)
ALSO, polishing the visor helps with demisting...............
do it on both sides.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:46 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the important thing with the Baby Wipe trial Matti, is to always use new ones.

Don't let your wife try and talk you into saving a few Euro's by using second hand ones.

That just doesn't bear thinking about.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:48 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
I think the important thing with the Baby Wipe trial Matti, is to always use new ones.

Don't let your wife try and talk you into saving a few Euro's by using second hand ones.

That just doesn't bear thinking about.
depends tho' TK ........ think of the tint effect

Quick Reply: baby wipes to clean helmet?