CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Mika_U's 980CC Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 01:29 PM
Sept 2014 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Conrice
Hmm, I'll have to look into that. It'd be much easier to test that way rather than modifying the FPR on the pump...
On the red fighter they did a adapter bracket from 5 mm thick steel using the Hondas pump/tank bottom were the fuel pump mounts as an model and welded (or actually i think it was soldered) that bracket to the Suzukis tanks bottom. If you are planning to use the Suzuki pump and add a bung to the tank i would do an old fashion google search about it. They have done it to many Busas and Gixers so there should be plenty info about it

Did you have a wrecked 954 tank. Maybe you could cut the bottom out of it and use that as an adapter.

Last edited by mika_u; 08-29-2014 at 01:54 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I doubt it has anything to do with the airbox size or velocity stacks. I had Factory Pro velocity stacks and we checked them against the stock velocity stacks on the dyno and there was absolutely no difference in power so I sold them to someone in France. If so I should have seen a problem when I installed nitrous on my 954. Even putting the nitrous spraybar, showerhead and lines between them into the airbox which seems to take up quite a bit of room did not affect the motor tune at all.

My 954 at stock wheelbase after tuning made 146.5HP / 71 Torque. When I went back to have my nitrous setup tuned stretched about 8" my baseline numbers dropped to 138/68 which was expected. After nitrous tuning at a safe 12AFR my bike made 178HP / 91 Torque or 186.5/94 at stock wheelbase on a bone stock engine. I have been spraying my bike for nearly a year now with this setup at the dragstrip with no problems.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:51 PM
Sept 2014 ROTM

Originally Posted by backdoc
I doubt it has anything to do with the airbox size or velocity stacks. I had Factory Pro velocity stacks and we checked them against the stock velocity stacks on the dyno and there was absolutely no difference in power so I sold them to someone in France. If so I should have seen a problem when I installed nitrous on my 954. Even putting the nitrous spraybar, showerhead and lines between them into the airbox which seems to take up quite a bit of room did not affect the motor tune at all.

My 954 at stock wheelbase after tuning made 146.5HP / 71 Torque. When I went back to have my nitrous setup tuned stretched about 8" my baseline numbers dropped to 138/68 which was expected. After nitrous tuning at a safe 12AFR my bike made 178HP / 91 Torque or 186.5/94 at stock wheelbase on a bone stock engine. I have been spraying my bike for nearly a year now with this setup at the dragstrip with no problems.
That probably isn't the whole story. Your motor has stock internals and head. Mine is far from stock (motor and head). Do you know what the 954 HRC airbox and stacks looks? Or YEC airbox and stacks for Yamaha etc. The purpose of the stacks is to get the power tuned to specific rev range. And i didn't mean the size of the airbox if you are applying that whit the spraybar taking the space from there.

Last edited by mika_u; 08-18-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:01 PM
Sept 2014 ROTM

It could allso be the exhaust or tb:s restricting it but i'll get to bottom of it when the riding season ends. I just really don't have the skills or time to measure all the facts of the cams, head (tract lengths, volumes etc.) to see what could make a difference to it. And i'll get the head flowed by another guy to see does it really flow enough or is it the head that is the problem.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:06 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Not to mention your valve timing, Mika. And when the tuner mentioned the original rich AFR you had above 12k, it seems to me that air flow stalled. With the timing, the curve should have climbed through 13k.

I'm sure that the intake runners are the right size for a 954 engine that only revs to stock RPMs, but Mika is revving much above that, which changes things. On my 1000rr airbox, the velocity stacks are much shorter, and the airbox is taller to (to which degree that is because of the secondary injectors - I don't know).

Old 08-18-2014, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by mika_u
It could allso be the exhaust or tb:s restricting it but i'll get to bottom of it when the riding season ends. I just really don't have the skills or time to measure all the facts of the cams, head (tract lengths, volumes etc.) to see what could make a difference to it. And i'll get the head flowed by another guy to see does it really flow enough or is it the head that is the problem.
That's a good point as well - the beemer screamer (S1000r) has 48mm TBs specifically because of how high it revs :hint hint (do it!):

Haha.

Seriously though, have you talked to someone who knows how to measure the intake charge that happens past BDC? That's what I'd be curious to know before I started taking off more material or contemplated bigger valves, etc.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:49 PM
Sept 2014 ROTM

Originally Posted by Conrice
That's a good point as well - the beemer screamer (S1000r) has 48mm TBs specifically because of how high it revs :hint hint (do it!):

Haha.

Seriously though, have you talked to someone who knows how to measure the intake charge that happens past BDC? That's what I'd be curious to know before I started taking off more material or contemplated bigger valves, etc.
There is a software called engine anylyzer pro from performance trends. You can download the free trial version and check what info it needs. It needs very detailed information about the configuration from different valve lift durations, port sizes, bore, stroke, valve sizes, head intake and exhaust flow, intake and exhaust tract lenghts and sizes, header primary lenghts and diameter, mid pipe size etc. (everything) With it it's very easy to simulate changes you make to an engine and see what makes the biggest difference virtually and start from there. It has been really accurate in real life if the data is correct. Dyno results have been with few hp marginal. It's just really out of my league. So i'll use the guy who adjusted my bike to do the measuring and using the program. Hes one of the best engine builders in the country to my knowledge and has made so many engines he will probably have a better clue to where to start to make changes. And he has top notch equipment from cam test equipment, flow bench, diamond hone, dyno etc.
The program tells the intake charges at different revolutions (VE) and really lets you change everything and predicts the outcome.

We will first measure the intake side (air boxes, stacks etc), valve timing and then take the head of and flow the head before making any changes to it. And probably measure the real compression ratio instead of trusting what it says in the pistons box. No more of putting parts together and hoping it works. Somebody that really knows what counts can do the final adjustments and changes to it. The bottom end stays whole. Not planning on doing anything to it or the frame. Everyhing is new or serviced so no need even for that. Only thing actually missing from the bike is my crash bars. I haven't had the time to pick them up from a friend that made them and i have to paint them when i get them.

Last edited by mika_u; 08-29-2014 at 02:05 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any news about this 954?

Old 02-03-2015, 08:58 AM
Sept 2014 ROTM

Originally Posted by Marco Marfè
any news about this 954?
Haven't had any motivation because off some turns in my life. So it stays pretty much the same. Maybe shorter stacks and trying few different cam timings.

Last edited by mika_u; 02-03-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by mika_u
Haven't had any motivation because off some turns in my life. So it stays pretty much the same. Maybe shorter stacks and trying few different cam timings.
Hope all is well my friend.

Quick Reply: Mika_U's 980CC Build