Mika_U's 980CC Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 05:42 AM
Sept 2014 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 07-15-2014, 11:13 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, there is some wear on that flywheel - but at least it's not deformed. I had one that was pulled from one of the motors I bought that needed to be rebuilt that was crunched shut and it had completely destroyed the stator. Can you see wear marks on the outside of the stator? And whats on the bottom left of the stator cover? Is that from a previous incident or something?

Man, that's a lot of debris. I'd take a flashlight to look down the oil passage between the cooler and pump once you have it all apart, see how much if any made it in that galley, and blow it out with compressed air

Old 07-15-2014, 12:07 PM
Sept 2014 ROTM

Originally Posted by Conrice
Well, there is some wear on that flywheel - but at least it's not deformed. I had one that was pulled from one of the motors I bought that needed to be rebuilt that was crunched shut and it had completely destroyed the stator. Can you see wear marks on the outside of the stator? And whats on the bottom left of the stator cover? Is that from a previous incident or something?

Man, that's a lot of debris. I'd take a flashlight to look down the oil passage between the cooler and pump once you have it all apart, see how much if any made it in that galley, and blow it out with compressed air
It's welded from a car tipping it over at a parking lot few years back. I have a perfect second hand flywheel that i'm going to use. I will clean the passage today whit air after i get from work. I will allso blow the main oil gallery under the crank just to be sure and to see what is in there and if everything looks fine i will put it back together so that i'll have it running tomorrow because the stator should be at the post office tomorrow.

Most of the debris was on the flywheel and under the starter gear on the casing. I just didn't remember to take a pic of that before i cleaned it. Only things left is cleaning the clutch cover mating surface and the oil galleries. Then it's just back together and hope for the best

Last edited by mika_u; 07-15-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by mika_u
It's welded from a car tipping it over at a parking lot few years back. I have a perfect second hand flywheel that i'm going to use. I will clean the passage today whit air after i get from work. I will allso blow the main oil gallery under the crank just to be sure and to see what is in there and if everything looks fine i will put it back together so that i'll have it running tomorrow because the stator should be at the post office tomorrow.

Most of the debris was on the flywheel and under the starter gear on the casing. I just didn't remember to take a pic of that before i cleaned it. Only things left is cleaning the clutch cover mating surface and the oil galleries. Then it's just back together and hope for the best
So did all 6 bolts on the starter clutch break away? I'm surprised they were that destroyed with how soft the flywheel is. I'm surprised there wasn't a head from one of the bolts in the bottom of the pan.... did they all break away and shear off? Is the gear reducer okay? I'd worry about the starter gear becoming un-balanced and hurting it.

That's a good idea to pull the main oil galley bolts and blow it out as well. Take a peak first though, hopefully you'll get some peace of mind by not seeing any debris whatsoever.

Oh, and I wanted to ask you. Is there any difference with the motor cranking from the higher compression? Does it spin slower or anything?

Old 07-15-2014, 01:11 PM
Sept 2014 ROTM

So did all 6 bolts on the starter clutch break away? I'm surprised they were that destroyed with how soft the flywheel is. I'm surprised there wasn't a head from one of the bolts in the bottom of the pan.... did they all break away and shear off? Is the gear reducer okay? I'd worry about the starter gear becoming un-balanced and hurting it.

That's a good idea to pull the main oil galley bolts and blow it out as well. Take a peak first though, hopefully you'll get some peace of mind by not seeing any debris whatsoever.

Oh, and I wanted to ask you. Is there any difference with the motor cranking from the higher compression? Does it spin slower or anything?
I have a full flywheel assembly whit another starter gear and the bearing on the crank for the gear seems to be ok. I cleaned and oiled it maybe 12 times and nothing coming out of it for the last 6 times and it spins fine and doesn't make any noises when spinning by hand and the needles are shiny as new.

When the first one has broken the other 5 couldn't handle the load and snapped allso. They were probably allso loose so that doesn't help. All of the bolt heads were on the flywheel magnets and rest of the bolt on the threads. I removed them from the threads.

When the engine is cold it starts pretty much like stock. But when it's warm it takes allmost everything the battery has and it doesn't spin the engine very quick. Whit a second battery hooked up or on the charger it starts like stock even when warm. I thought i'll get a bigger battery when i have time and it's dynoed.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:48 PM
Sept 2014 ROTM

Cleaned the oil passages/galleries. Nothing solid or clearly metallic come out of them. But a little bit of something black whit the oil that looks some sort of residues? Felt just like oil but was pretty black considering the Motul 300V that was in the engine is lime green and the other normal color oils that i run through after the rebuild were very little time in the engine so it shouldn't gone that dark. Whit the first oils i let the engine get at normal operating temp few times. The second ones were about 250-300 miles and the Motul 300V was just changed before the dyno.

Could allso be from the new clutch? I slipped few times before it started grip and carbon fiber mass plates are black?

Last edited by mika_u; 07-15-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:13 PM

It'll make it the oil look the same color as your fairings and it'll look like it has glitter in it. If you put it on your finger, metal shavings will shimmer in the light like glitter. The main thing is that you didn't see any big pieces. I sincerely doubt you did anything to the bearings.

I was wondering why the oil residue in the first picture looked green - I haven't ever used Motul before. I thought maybe it was just the lighting or something. Is that so that residue becomes black and you can clearly see junk/residue in the oil?

Last edited by Conrice; 07-15-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:24 PM
Sept 2014 ROTM

It'll make it the oil look the same color as your fairings and it'll look like it has glitter in it. If you put it on your finger, metal shavings will shimmer in the light like glitter. The main thing is that you didn't see any big pieces. I sincerely doubt you did anything to the bearings.

I was wondering why the oil residue in the first picture looked green - I haven't ever used Motul before. I thought maybe it was just the lighting or something. Is that so that residue becomes black and you can clearly see junk/residue in the oil?
I know what metal in oil looks/feels. There wasn't any metal in the passages like i said I just wondered what the black residue was in the oil and it looked like it was older oil? Not the green Motul that was in the engine? Don't really know why the 300V is green and don't now how it looks when it really is used. This was the first time i used it. It's a double ester based racing oil. Other Motul bike oils are normal color.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by mika_u
I know what metal in oil looks/feels. There wasn't any metal in the passages like i said I just wondered what the black residue was in the oil and it looked like it was older oil? Not the green Motul that was in the engine? Don't really know why the 300V is green and don't now how it looks when it really is used. This was the first time i used it. It's a double ester based racing oil. Other Motul bike oils are normal color.
Oh, well maybe it was a bit of older oil mixing with the new oil??

I don't know if new clutch discs would do that right away.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:59 AM
Sept 2014 ROTM

Oh, well maybe it was a bit of older oil mixing with the new oil??

I don't know if new clutch discs would do that right away.
Neather do i. Never had to clean oil galliries right after rebuild. You could be right on it mixing. But i'll try to get it running today or tomorrow. Beeing kind of hopefull

Quick Reply: Mika_U's 980CC Build