CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Help clutch basket problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help clutch basket problem

Hello i am putting back together 02 954 and i ren into a small problem. I can not put back the clutch basket to be more specific the outer park of the clutch basket. And the reason why is that the teeth on the outer part of the clutch basket do not line up with the sprockets on the crank shaft. So my question is: Is there any specific positon that the crank need to be in so that the sprockets align?

Last edited by stunter411; 03-25-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:06 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just installed a shift kit a few weeks and this can be tricky. Just above the ignition rotor you will see a hole and the scissor gears behind it. Using a 14mm socket on the rotor bolt slowly turn over the engine until you see a circle shaped hole in the larger gear. Leave it to where the outer gear blocks about half of the circle. Now using a phillips head screwdriver in the hole above the rotor to move the outer gear slightly and push screwdriver into hole in larger gear. This will get the scissor gears very close. Slight pressure on the screwdriver will line them up so you can fit the basket. Just make sure the back of basket fits onto the small tabs to run the oil pump. If the basket is installed correctly the gears on the basket will be almost flush with the scissor gears.

Attached Thumbnails Help clutch basket problem-resizedimage_1364245042500.jpg  

Last edited by backdoc; 03-25-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:33 PM

ahhaaa so thats how it done... Thank you so much

Old 03-25-2013, 05:08 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

bacdoc is right.... that's how it kills the lash between the primary and the basket.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:20 AM

anyone has a ideo of this?

Old 09-17-2022, 02:17 AM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by backdoc
I just installed a shift kit a few weeks and this can be tricky. Just above the ignition rotor you will see a hole and the scissor gears behind it. Using a 14mm socket on the rotor bolt slowly turn over the engine until you see a circle shaped hole in the larger gear. Leave it to where the outer gear blocks about half of the circle. Now using a phillips head screwdriver in the hole above the rotor to move the outer gear slightly and push screwdriver into hole in larger gear. This will get the scissor gears very close. Slight pressure on the screwdriver will line them up so you can fit the basket. Just make sure the back of basket fits onto the small tabs to run the oil pump. If the basket is installed correctly the gears on the basket will be almost flush with the scissor gears.
This is an old thread but worth a try!, firstly the above post is very helpful, I’ve just refitted my clutch basket and luckily I saw this thread, the Haynes manual makes no mention of using a screwdriver to align the primary gear, I would have been struggling if I hadn’t read the above.
I do have one question though, where it says “gears on the basket will be almost flush”, I noticed when stripping mine that the clutch basket gear was approx 1.5mm to 2mm proud of the primary (scissor) gear, on rebuild its ended up the same, it’s very hard to know if the tangs that drive the oil pump have mated into the back of the basket, tried turning the oil pump and it won’t move unless the basket is turned so I believe it’s lined up but that could also happen due to the basket just pressing on the oil pump tangs rather than them being seated in the holes on the basket, so my question is does “almost flush” mean 1.5mm to 2mm proud?.

Old 09-19-2022, 12:58 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark9
This is an old thread but worth a try!, firstly the above post is very helpful, I’ve just refitted my clutch basket and luckily I saw this thread, the Haynes manual makes no mention of using a screwdriver to align the primary gear, I would have been struggling if I hadn’t read the above.
I do have one question though, where it says “gears on the basket will be almost flush”, I noticed when stripping mine that the clutch basket gear was approx 1.5mm to 2mm proud of the primary (scissor) gear, on rebuild its ended up the same, it’s very hard to know if the tangs that drive the oil pump have mated into the back of the basket, tried turning the oil pump and it won’t move unless the basket is turned so I believe it’s lined up but that could also happen due to the basket just pressing on the oil pump tangs rather than them being seated in the holes on the basket, so my question is does “almost flush” mean 1.5mm to 2mm proud?.
You should be good if you cant move the oil pump by hand and the clutch basket gear is 1-2mm off the crank gear.

Old 09-19-2022, 01:34 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks, I subsequently managed to get a small inspection mirror under the basket and was able to see that the oil pump drive was flush against the basket 👍

The following users liked this post:
backdoc (09-20-2022)