CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Crashed my 954 at the dragstrip

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 09:25 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the support. I had my video camera on my helmet but it got damaged during the crash and didn't save the last file. I will be back racing hopefully in July or August.

@Conrice, thanks for the offer on the nose. Mine is still useable and looks good considering it has been in a crash. I will touch it up and use it until I find a perfect nose to replace it with.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

Very sorry to hear about the spill. But very, very happy that you are alive to tell the story. You know it's not too many people that can say they literally walked away from a 100+mph crash. You have a story I have no desire to try and top.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:46 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You dug deep in your bag labelled "Luck" on that one. Heal up and get back out there!

Old 05-05-2014, 11:53 PM

Dont let pride ruin your run. Its the mentality to make the run with the proper gear. Prepare for the worst....hope for the best! You my friend walked away from a very serious accident. Miracles happen every day for a reason. Embrace the love your wife freely gives you! She loves you...not your 1/4 mile times. Hug her, hold her tight...and never let go! You, my friend are a very blessed man! Heal well BD!

PS. Those Knox gloves have special powers. Me thinks w/o those and getting ragdolled down the runway could of ended very differently! You have excellent taste in hand armor.

Last edited by Ironhead; 05-05-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:09 AM
Official Glory Detailer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you are ok back doc my biggest fear would be crashing my rc . And no not worried about my self just the bike lol .

Old 05-06-2014, 05:41 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Glad you came out of this not too badly injured, hope you have a speedy and complete recovery. Sorry about the bike, I love 954's!

Thanks for the story and the pictures as well, always good to see how gear has stood up to a real life test and not just something in a lab. I'm an ATGATT guy and when you see what happens to leather in a crash I know it's the right choice.

Luckily this happened at a track, no obstacles for you or the bike to collide with, on the street it could have been a very different story

Once again, get well soon.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad your ok.. I also wrecked back in the day at same speed in highway. Dont remember me flying throung the air.... Jus rebuild that 954.. I will be here waiting. PS thanx for that write up on fireblades.com (954 shift drum and fork replacement). It worked for my 3rd gear jumping out. It dont jump out anymore. Heal quickly!!

Old 05-13-2014, 08:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad to hear you're okay. the bike looks pretty good considering the speed. it's always in the back of my mind what a shame it would be to total one of these bikes,
hope you get it all fixed up like new.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:38 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Update: Had my surgery on 5/14 to put 3 screws in my ankle. Everything well went and I was back to work by Friday. See orthopedic again next week to see how well my ankle is healing to determine when I might be able to start putting some weight on it. As soon as he puts me in some type of removable cast/brace I will be back racing.

As for my bike its going to be much cheaper to repair than I expected. I had a spare left fairing and tail so I didn't have to buy them. Put a new stator cover and gasket on today and she fired right up and sounded as good as ever. Since I could not find a used upper cowl in good condition I decided to order one from Honda. I ordered a new upper cowl, decals for upper cowl, upper stay and other misc pieces from partszilla.com for $360. A new upper cowl from partszilla was only $272. The decals for the upper cowl were another $20. I figured the cowl would come with the stickers already on it but the sales rep said no. I guess we will see who's right when it arrives. Still a great price for a new oem upper cowl. I figured it would cost nearly double that. After ordering new levers and foot pegs from Ebay my bike will be back to nearly mint condition for around $500.

It will cost me more to replace my damaged gear than to fix my bike. My HJC helmet is trash along with my expensive Knox Handroid gloves. My Joe Rocket Jacket and pants can be worn but have scuffs everywhere. My Joe Rocket boots are fine besides a few scratches.

Last edited by backdoc; 05-22-2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:48 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by backdoc
Update: Had my surgery on 5/14 to put 3 screws in my ankle. Everything well went and I was back to work by Friday. See orthopedic again next week to see how well my ankle is healing to determine when I might be able to start putting some weight on it. As soon as he puts me in some type of removable cast/brace I will be back racing.

As for my bike its going to be much cheaper to repair than I expected. I had a spare left fairing and tail so I didn't have to buy them. Put a new stator cover and gasket on today and she fired right up and sounded as good as ever. Since I could not find a used upper cowl in good condition I decided to order one from Honda. I ordered a new upper cowl, decals for upper cowl, upper stay and other misc pieces from partszilla.com for $360. A new upper cowl from partszilla was only $272. The decals for the upper cowl were another $20. I figured the cowl would come with the stickers already on it but the sales rep said no. I guess we will see who's right when it arrives. Still a great price for a new oem upper cowl. I figured it would cost nearly double that. After ordering new levers and foot pegs from Ebay my bike will be back to nearly mint condition for around $500.

It will cost me more to replace my damaged gear than to fix my bike. My HJC helmet is trash along with my expensive Knox Handroid gloves. My Joe Rocket Jacket and pants can be worn but have scuffs everywhere. My Joe Rocket boots are fine besides a few scratches.

I'm glad your surgeries went well! I don't know you personally, but as a motorcyclist, I can't express how happy I am for you that you're getting fixed up! Keep up the healing!

It's great that it won't cost that much to get your bike back to its pristine condition again too. Thanks for the updates. Don't hold out on us. If I know you like I think I do, YOU NEED A REBUILD THREAD! Lots of pictures. You have no idea how many people it will help.

Quick Reply: Crashed my 954 at the dragstrip