CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Bike won't start, possibly a fuel pump related issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike won't start, possibly a fuel pump related issue

Rode my bike this morning without any problems, stopped off at the office for a few minutes and came back out, but the bike won't start. The fuel pump won't prime, and the enigine cranks, just won't fire. I've done a search on the forum, but came up with a varity of possible answers. Just trying to narrow the search hopefully, it's simple and I can handle it, otherwise I have to send it to a shop.
Anyway, the lights seem to work ok, I tried with the kickstand up and down, and with and w/o the clutch in. Wondering if it might be the bank angle sensor. Can you get to it without removing the front fairing?
Will start tomorrow with a more extensive search including the fuses and any visible loose wires. I have absolutely no understanding of a wiring diagram or a voltmeter, but willing to learn as I go. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jae

Old 04-14-2011, 10:31 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

check the clutch safety switch

Old 04-14-2011, 10:40 PM

Sorry for my ingnorance, but where is the clutch safety switch, and do you know how I would check it. Am I looking for a loose ground or wire, or do I have to check voltages?

Old 04-15-2011, 08:45 AM

The plugs that plug into the clutch lever. Im pretty sure that wont cause your fuel pump not to prime though. Try bypassing your bank angle sensor. You will have to jump it. If the pump primes then thats your problem. If not I would go to the pump itself and check to see if its getting voltage....

Old 04-15-2011, 09:43 AM

if one of those is unplugged, it will cause the bike not to start - it acts like the kill switch.... you'll see two wires coming off of the turn signal switch box and they plug into a sensor plug right under the clutch.

i doubt its a faulty BAS. before you go looking for a big problem, check all the small stuff first. BAS is behind the guage cluster in the nose of the bike, meaning you'll have to take the nose fairing and light off.

go through the troubleshooting section in the manual.

edit- we are sure that your kill switch is switched to run right?

double edit - i just checked on my bike, and with the clutch switch un-plugged, the bike won't prime as well as not start...

Last edited by Conrice; 04-15-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:03 AM

With the kill switch to off the bike wont even crank. I checked the clutch switch but it seems to connected ok. Nothing loose.
Conrice, why dont you think its the bas?
When i started the bike, it actually started yesterday but died a second later. Thought it was odd that it died and would not start after that. If it starts than almost immediately dies, do you guys think it might be more like a fuse?

Old 04-15-2011, 12:30 PM

well of course a kill switch turned to off won't crank or prime, it has to be on or run.... the reason i don't think its a BAS is because they're a real simple system... its just a weight in some mercury or oil.... , not to mention they reset after a min. i don't see it going out before something else happening. and its a lot of work as opposed to checking simple things like fuses. so check all that before you go tearing the bike up.

but if you do all that and haven't found a problem, i would bypass the sensor (connect the two outer wires (i think, check the diagram to be sure)) to see if it works - and you wouldn't have to take the bike apart to find the wires and connect them via diagram as well. if it works, then the BAS was bad, order a new one and replace it. if it doesn't, its something else.

there's a troubleshooting portion in the manual, go through it to get any ideas of what else it could be

Old 04-15-2011, 11:55 PM

Well good news, I took Conrice's advise and started small. Pulled all the fuses to check, and they were all good. By chance I figured I might have reset the ecu so I started the bike and heard the whir of the fuel pump. Bike started right up.
Thanks for all your help.

Last edited by hawkgt; 04-18-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:38 PM

good job man, always start small. its usually something stupid that makes it go hay-wire.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:17 AM
Default Bike won't start again

I was hoping I would never have to revisit this again. Anyway, I need some advise again. The bike wouldn't start today even after many start/stops, and more than 75 miles. Last time, messing with the fuses worked, won't work this time. I couldn't really work on the bike because it's in a parking lot a work. Had to have a friend drive me back home.
Read somewhere that the ignition switch has some kind of diode that can go bad and prevent the fuel pump from working. I know that some people with the issue had more symptoms than just the fuel pump not priming/working. Mine seems to be strictly the pump or something that is stopping the pump from working.
Any ideas?

Jae

Quick Reply: Bike won't start, possibly a fuel pump related issue