CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

954 Shift Drum and Fork Replacement

Old 04-18-2014, 08:19 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TooBroke0029
Have one just not the large capacity compressor to go with it.. Seriously did you guys just buy the Honda center holder or a commercially available alternative?
For the price of a holder, you can probably find a good air compressor at a pawn shop or something.

Originally Posted by mika_u
Air wrench works fine.

but you really don't need any holder if you have air wrench.
this

Old 04-19-2014, 07:46 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

An impact wrench is helpful for removing the clutch lock nut but you still need the clutch holder tool to to torque the new lock nut to 94 ft/lbs. Once I get my parts I will do a complete write up on changing these parts and post it in the "how to" section.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys mika_u I will purchase that specific holder here shortly. I would love a decent compressor and work bench, but the wife has become a **** with the check book. I'll keep my eyes open for a good deal and ****** it. looking forward to that write up backdoc.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:04 PM
Sept 2014 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by backdoc
An impact wrench is helpful for removing the clutch lock nut but you still need the clutch holder tool to to torque the new lock nut to 94 ft/lbs. Once I get my parts I will do a complete write up on changing these parts and post it in the "how to" section.
If you wan't to go by the book but it really isn't necessary. Same thing whit the flywheel bolt. You can try it after you tighten whit the impact wrench whit the moment wrench and you'll see it is tight enough. If you have the motor in the frame you can put the gear on and hold the rear brake the prevent it from moving. I actually use moment wrench on all bolts that have specified torque value but i know many 954:s that have old clutch lock nut that is torqued whit impact wrench and they seem to work fine.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

And I'll be honest - I don't torque wrench that nut - I impact wrench it. I have done it multiple times - there's no difference in clutch feel or performance whatsoever as it doesn't affect the plates. It just keeps the basket on the main shaft correctly.

Cam towers, rods, mains (those stretch bolts), clutch springs, the case, head bolts - I follow the torque values/tightening procedures religiously. On other stuff though... can't say that I do.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:09 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you wan't to go by the book but it really isn't necessary. Same thing whit the flywheel bolt. You can try it after you tighten whit the impact wrench whit the moment wrench and you'll see it is tight enough. If you have the motor in the frame you can put the gear on and hold the rear brake the prevent it from moving. I actually use moment wrench on all bolts that have specified torque value but i know many 954:s that have old clutch lock nut that is torqued whit impact wrench and they seem to work fine.
Originally Posted by Conrice
And I'll be honest - I don't torque wrench that nut - I impact wrench it. I have done it multiple times - there's no difference in clutch feel or performance whatsoever as it doesn't affect the plates. It just keeps the basket on the main shaft correctly.

Cam towers, rods, mains (those stretch bolts), clutch springs, the case, head bolts - I follow the torque values/tightening procedures religiously. On other stuff though... can't say that I do.
You guys can gamble with your clutch basket if you want by using an impact to tighten the lock nut. I will not risk an exploded clutch basket by not taking the time to torque everything correctly. My bike sees more abuse in one month at the dragstrip those most bikes will see in a year.

I got my parts yesterday and got my bike back together. I will post the write up in the "how to" section in a few days. The job was easier than I expected. It's just a detailed job where you must take your time to ensure its done correctly.