Go Back   CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners > Past CBR Models > CBR 929RR
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-01-2010, 03:46 PM

Default Attn 929 owners: Timing chain noise?

Hey guys, just doing my spring maintence on the 929. I have the fairings off and was drying the bike while it was idling and I could hear a mild ticking that is directly related to RPM coming from the left side of the block. Do you all hear the same thing while the bike is running? No strange effects of any sort (smoke, etc.) I figure I'm just hearing the timing chain doing it's job. The bike has 20,000kms on it and runs flawless.

Thanks for the help,

-Tony
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CBRForum!
Old 03-01-2010, 09:59 PM

In my experience with that noise it is usually the cam chain tensioner. Im a new owner of the 929 but my 600 had that noise and it was extremely common. The factory tensioner is auto adjusting and sometimes it goes out. If you buy an aftermarket one its manually adjustable. If im wrong please someone jump in here.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:22 PM

Your right about the factory tensioner, it has a spring loaded ratchet, and sometimes if it doesnt fully take up the slack the chain will slap a bit..
you can try taking it out and resetting it and see if it goes away. might just be sticking. If you go with a manual tensioner you can set it yourself but you have to check it periodically....
If its just a mild ticking i wouldnt worry too much, but if it turns into a full out slap/clack noise you need to look at it asap.

Grab a copy of the factory manual thats posted at the beginning of this forum, and take a look at how it works, its pretty easy to check it.

I have 2 929's and one has 74k kms on it, and the factory tensioner is working just fine.

Nice bike BTW i have the same exact one, but mines got 24k kms on it..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8916_185212364934_510919934_3763606_1524231_n.jpg (61.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg CBR929RR1.jpg (77.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 03-03-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycrash View Post
Your right about the factory tensioner, it has a spring loaded ratchet, and sometimes if it doesnt fully take up the slack the chain will slap a bit..
you can try taking it out and resetting it and see if it goes away. might just be sticking. If you go with a manual tensioner you can set it yourself but you have to check it periodically....
If its just a mild ticking i wouldnt worry too much, but if it turns into a full out slap/clack noise you need to look at it asap.

Grab a copy of the factory manual thats posted at the beginning of this forum, and take a look at how it works, its pretty easy to check it.

I have 2 929's and one has 74k kms on it, and the factory tensioner is working just fine.

Nice bike BTW i have the same exact one, but mines got 24k kms on it..
Thanks for the help to all that replied, that is some good information. I downloaded the factory manual (excellent) and took a look. Also had a look at your bikes, the Erion of course is nice and I have not seen a Repsol 929 like that (very nice).
Old 03-03-2010, 07:15 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrecore0223 View Post
In my experience with that noise it is usually the cam chain tensioner. Im a new owner of the 929 but my 600 had that noise and it was extremely common. The factory tensioner is auto adjusting and sometimes it goes out. If you buy an aftermarket one its manually adjustable. If im wrong please someone jump in here.
Thanks for the help!
Old 03-03-2010, 07:15 PM

Tags
01, 929, 929rr, cam, cbr, cbr929rr, chain, check, drag, f41, honda, noise, tensioner, timing, type