CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibrations

Hi, on my 96' Fireblade I get a vibration/noise when it gets around 3,500 rpms, above and beklow this it goes away.

Anyone got any clues?

Old 10-12-2007, 12:18 AM
Default RE: Vibrations

From the engine or somewhere else?

Old 10-12-2007, 12:49 AM

How bad is it? I get quite a bit of noise and vibration from my 96 too. Especially when I let off the throttle. But I'm sure its all normal.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:38 AM

I think it is comiong from the engine, or somewhere at the front of the bike. It isn;t too bad, just annoying. My stock muffler is real quiet, so I better get a louder one to hide all the noises

Old 10-13-2007, 03:20 PM

Try to check as many bolts and fasteners on the bike as you can, there are a number of bolted-on components (gas tank, upper cowl, handlebars, exhaust, triple clamps, etc.) that, if slightly loose, could produce an annoying buzz at the right rpm's. The OEM handlebars and bar-ends go a long way in reducing the buzz from the engine through your hands so check and see if you have originals or if someone added aftermarket ones. Other than that it's probably just the nature of the beast...

Old 10-21-2007, 08:59 PM

hello, I got the same condition with my '96 rr too...
the sound happened when accelerating and decelerating around 3k-4k rpm... after that it's gone... the sound like a chatter...KRRRRR...if you know what i mean
Asked my friend who also a mechanic, and he said this has something to do with the Chain tensioner or worn Cams...but to make sure, he has to check and see it first...also asked me not to accelerate the bike too hard to avoid more problems if those are the case with the engine...
Well.. what do you guys think? SpiritRR you got lots of experience with the bike... If it's just the nature of the RR, then I really don't want to open the engine to get checked... (well..it will cost a lot also I guess[8D])

thanks a lot!!

Old 10-21-2007, 09:38 PM

If you own a 900RR, you're pretty much guaranteed to replace the cam chain tensioner (CCT) at some point. We just had a round about it so check this then replace it before cracking off your head cover looking for worn cams. The CCT can be changed without opening the motor, there's a DIY in the link above. It's good that you have a mechanic friend, if you guys learn anything specific about your troubles, please post up what was wrong and how you fixed it. Thanks!

Old 10-22-2007, 02:19 AM

Hi Spirit....You said something about, just because it's noisy doesn't mean it's about to fail. Most people seem to only replace them because they get tired of the noise.
Then, it might be possible that mine can still be used without problems, only a slight noise problem... is this correct?
I live in Bali Indonesia, and the shipping cost for the APE is almost the same as the item itself[8D]
thanks!

Old 10-22-2007, 03:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Myengine will have a kind of wheezing sound all the time, and all the mechanics tell its normal. So I'm used to it and beside there is no problem so far. I guesswe can't run away from it. Just like when your car gets old, you will hear all kind off noise from inside while driving...

Old 10-22-2007, 06:51 PM

My 97 had a vibrating/sound. It was coming from the gas tank. Apparently it was touching the frame and amplifying the vibration of the frame. I put a little piece of weatherstripping in between the tank and frame, hasn't done it since. Oh when I was trying to find the spot I just slid a piece of foldedcardboard of a cigarette pack between the tank and frame and it went away. Thats how I was sure it was the problem.It might not be the same but that was my situation.

Quick Reply: Vibrations