CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Knocking sound during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking sound during acceleration

Hi! I just bought a 96 CBR 900 and it makesa knocking or clicking sound when I accelerate or go up a hill. It doesn't make the sound when at idle or maintaining speed. Is this normal? I can't say for sure how many miles it has. The Department of Licensing told me there was an odometer discrepancy with the bike.At best guess it has around 22,000 miles. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Default RE: Knocking sound during acceleration

I just wondering if you hear the sould when you rev the bike up in netural? if not then this sounds not to bad. you say that you hear it when yoiu go up hill. it maybe sounds like your sprockets. more so because of the clicking. it may be jumping teeth? take a quick look at it anyways.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:14 PM

When I rev up the bike in neutral it doesn't make the clicking sound. Even when I'm riding at a high RPMthe engine sounds great! It's only when I apply strain by accelerating or going up a hill. How do I tell if the sprocket needs to be replaced?

Old 07-05-2007, 03:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look to see if there is any rounding of the teeth on either sprocket or if the chain looks really loose. they will begin to look like a wave and they may even be beginning to have kinda arounded over top like a wave in the ocean. To look at the front sprocket just remove the 2 8mil bolts on the front cover. be sure not to remove the speed sensor which is also 2 8 mil boltsbecause there is no reason to do so.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:44 PM

sounds to me like you need some sprokets, the are not much. you are skipping teeth.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:52 PM

I'm thinking it's not the sprocket. I removed the front cover and boththe front and rear sprockets actually looks pretty good. I found a picture of a new one online and they look pretty similar.I drove it down the road and the ticking sound doesn't appear to be coming from the sprocket area. It really sounds like it's coming from the engine. But again, it only does it during acceleration. I reved it up in neutral and maintained speed and it doesn't make that sound. Any other possible ideas?

Old 07-05-2007, 10:33 PM

A ticking sound? maybe you need a valve adj? mine is doing the samerthing here and there, Im getting mine looked at this weekend and I will see if trhis is my issue.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:17 PM

I am glad to know I am not the only one. Mine does the exact same thing. 96 w/ 17K, and it is silent on free rev, doesn't really make any noise at high or low RPM, just midrange under a load.

Just about every bike I have owned has made some noise or another, I am beginning to think its just something to get used to. Let me know if you find out something different.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine does the same thing, 93 900RR 42k miles. 3-4k rpm under a load knock. dissapears when ur cruisin. Mine stops once its warm tho. Rod knock? maybe im bein to extreme

Old 05-07-2008, 08:03 AM

---realize this is an older post, but what the h3ll---

Just bought a 2006 CBR1000RR with 2,460 miles and mine is making the same sound at the same time.

Although, "knocking" sounds a bit thick to me, I'd put mine somewhere between a Click and a Clack type of sound.

Mine also does it only during acceleration, in every gear, and disappears completely somewhere between 3500 and 4000rpm. After that, the bike sounds great.

I started to feel like even though the bike appears to be in stellar condition, that the previous owner may have ridden it fairly hard. Now that I see this post, as well as others, maybe it's something that can be fixed.

Jamswain, did you ever get yours checked out?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Mike

Quick Reply: Knocking sound during acceleration