CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Issue with my choke, on 97 900rr

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 01:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Issue with my choke, on 97 900rr

Ok here is my next issue.

When I got my bike the choke worked just fine, no issues. Choke would stay on until I pushed it off or the engine died. Now it slowly pulls itself off shortly after start up an not allowing proper warm up of the engine on cooler mornings. **Last two days I had to hold the choke on while riding half way to work just to get power to the wheel.***

So that leads me to believed I pugged it up somewhere. The cable has only been off carb end twice for carb maintenance and inspection, and twice off the fork end for handlebar replacement and inspection. Every time I took it off I made sure to put it back the same way or so I believe.

So here is my questions to start off my troubleshooting to this. Is this a cable issue or a carb (vacuum pressure) issue? When I ask, a cable issue I am inquiring, is the choke held "ON" by the friction of the cable in the cable sleeve (by the way it is routed form the fork to the carb)?

Old 06-16-2014, 07:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WilliePete
Ok here is my next issue.

When I got my bike the choke worked just fine, no issues. Choke would stay on until I pushed it off or the engine died. Now it slowly pulls itself off shortly after start up an not allowing proper warm up of the engine on cooler mornings. **Last two days I had to hold the choke on while riding half way to work just to get power to the wheel.***

So that leads me to believed I pugged it up somewhere. The cable has only been off carb end twice for carb maintenance and inspection, and twice off the fork end for handlebar replacement and inspection. Every time I took it off I made sure to put it back the same way or so I believe.

So here is my questions to start off my troubleshooting to this. Is this a cable issue or a carb (vacuum pressure) issue? When I ask, a cable issue I am inquiring, is the choke held "ON" by the friction of the cable in the cable sleeve (by the way it is routed form the fork to the carb)?
This is a easy one williepete.
Under the **** is a black plastic nut that can be tightened by hand but to get the choke to stay on it's own in the open position, you'll need to use a wrench or vice grips to get that extra tightness.

Last edited by jasonchristopher; 06-16-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL Ya, that was an easy one!! I looked at that before to but not close enough as I missed the "nut" stuck under the rubber cap. Else I might have figured it out before posting it as an issue.

End result is Issue resolved!! THANK YOU!

Old 06-16-2014, 09:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

we're all here to help each other..

anytime...

jay