CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Differences in subframes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 02:33 PM
March 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Differences in subframes?

I have a 96 CBR900RRT that I did a restomod on. I bought it complete but it had a rebuilt title (got it dirt cheap). It did not have the original plastics on the rear when I got the bike but they were for a 900RR. Question I have is are there subtle differences between the 93-94, and 95-97, and the 98 and up subframes for the 900RR. I have the correct color new Honda plastics and new rear seat on the bike and while the plastics all mount up correctly to the subframe the seat seems to sit alot higher than I remember how the rear seat fit the plastics on the 96RR that I bought new back in 96. There is no adjustment for lowering the seat relative to the plastics. The gap between the plastic and the seat is alot wide than what I think is visually appealling. Nothing looks bent on the subframe.

Does anyone know if the seat mounting plates on the subframes would be higher on one set of years to the other and all the other mounting points would be correct?

Any help would be appreciated.

The following pictures show the gaps:
Name:  2012-12-06_13-26-54_335.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  36.9 KB
Name:  2012-12-06_13-27-01_833.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  35.1 KB

Old 12-06-2012, 03:41 PM

from a '93 so not sure how helpful but maybe gives a reference.
there is a gap but yeh not like the one you have.

Name:  IMG_0908.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  52.7 KB

here you can see the side mounting brackets are level with the spring on the seat bracket. maybe that helps with determining if your subframe is where it should be?

Name:  IMG_0906.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  78.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0907.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  102.4 KB

Old 12-06-2012, 05:23 PM
March 2013 ROTM

Splash... Thanks for the pictures. The way your seat fits is how I remember my original 96 fitting. If you get a chance could you take a few measurements off of yours? I'm, looking for the distance between the bracket welded to the sub frame the hinge for the seat mounts to and the centerline of the frankenstein mounting bolt for the fairing. (2nd picture) What is the difference in height between those two and also what is the height distance from that same mounting brkt to the top of the plastic fairing in the front of the seat hole opening (3rd picture) What i'm trying to find out if there is a difference in measurement between what yours is and what mine is. I know the plastic, seat, seat mount hinge, etc is correct because they are all new oem Honda parts. Not sure on the subframe and the 2 brackets the front frakenstein bolts on the fairing mount to.

Thanks....Nick

Old 12-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

do you have a fender eleminator kit installed??
if so : just adjust the brackets that are located just above your plate.. you have to push up hard and then tighten..

Old 12-06-2012, 06:03 PM
March 2013 ROTM

Originally Posted by jasonchristopher
do you have a fender eleminator kit installed??
if so : just adjust the brackets that are located just above your plate.. you have to push up hard and then tighten..
No fender eliminator... I think the seat has to come down actually. The holes in the plastic lined up fairly well.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:38 PM
March 2013 ROTM

Splash... mine doesn't look much different then yours...

I know the brkts that the plastic bolts by the seat hinge are the same PN for all years. The sub frame is different, the seat brkt hinge is the same for all years and so is the latch assembly. I'm thinking I got a diff year subframe on this....

Name:  2012-12-06_19-50-24_244.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  71.7 KB

Old 12-06-2012, 08:35 PM

nothing seems off from the pics.
I'll get the measurements for u anyway.

stock seat been off since new so don't remember how the hand grab supposed to attach to the arms but if u attached it between the screw nut and the arm instead of between the arm and the seat it would be a bit lower, maybe?

Last edited by splash; 12-06-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

wondering if you made any progress??
you know, I came across this in another thread a while back..i thought about when I originally read your post... I know it has to be somewhere in the 900 threads, just wanted to give you a heads up.. I remember who ever had the same problem was able to drop the seat and from memory I thought it was something pretty simple..
actually that's why I asked if you had the elimainator kit..anyway its out there.. if I find it before you do ..i'll repost the link here..
jay

Old 12-12-2012, 01:17 PM
March 2013 ROTM

I think I remember seeing something about it.... He redid the brkt that the seat hinges to or something.

Anyways I got a straight 96 model subframe coming and i am going to verify that I got all the 96 parts on it. If that doesn't work then I'm going to start modifying the brackets to lower the seat. I hope I don't have to. I hate doing stuff that is not stock (or I can't chagne back to stock easily)

Old 12-23-2012, 08:56 AM
March 2013 ROTM

The small brackets coming off the subframe have a lot to do with how the rear cowl fits to the seat. I have that pretty much fixed. Only thing I need to do is figure out how to get rid of the spring on the lright rear corner of the seat. The spring used to pop the seat up when unlocked is flexing the seat causeing the right rear not to sit down against the stops. on teh subfame thus causing a sider gap bottom of seat to cowl.

Quick Reply: Differences in subframes?