CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Bike won't crank - what to do next?

Old 02-21-2014, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Bike won't crank - what to do next?

Gentlemen,

I need some guidance... I have 1995 CBR900RR that I've had since new. It has always started with the choke immediately, until now. After letting the bike sit, I had the stealership clean the carbs, got the bike back, and it ran great. That was last summer. Now the bike is extremely hard to start when cold, almost impossible! Once warmed up though, it starts great and runs great.

Here's what I have done to try and fix the problem...

(1) Drained out gas and filled the tank this week with 93 octane, non-ethanol.
(2) Replaced the plugs with new.
(3) Verified the fuel pump works correctly.
(4) Replaced the choke cable with a new one.
(5) Verified the carbs are seated correctly and there are no obstructions in the pipe or air intake.
(6) Replaced the battery with new and keep a battery tender on it to maintain a charge with all this starter action.

What would make it act this way? I think it must be carb or gas related. Please advise what my next steps should be to get her back to her old self...

Thanks in advance for any advice offered....

Old 02-22-2014, 05:37 AM

Check your cylinders compression.
The problem may be in choke. It may not working.
Try to pull the choke when the bike is in optimal work temp. and see what will happend. I think if the engine stop, you'll be shure that the problem isn't in choke.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:28 PM

If the bike sat with ethanol fuel prior to you draining/flushing the tank between the carb overhaul , there is a good possibility that there are a few small jet holes that are partially clogged. Sounds like you went about all the little things i would have done , so try this, buy a can of Seafoam carb cleaner , add the entire can to about a 2 gallon mix of clean fuel. shake bike up and try to get it running enough to get this concentrate mix into all of the carbs , then try and let this mix sit in the carbs undisturbed for as long as you can(try for a week) the strong mix will go to work on these little jets and hopefully clear them. A lot of peoples bikes sit for a long time with ethanol fuel and this fuel breaks down way faster than it should. Your on the right track using the non-ethanol fuel , for bikes that sit for any length of time , i recommend that.
Hope this helps , ive seen it work myself on several problems like the one you describe.
GL

Old 03-02-2014, 01:55 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Seafoam , Seafoam , Seafoam , Seafoam , Seafoam ,Seafoam , Seafoam , Seafoam , Seafoam , Seafoam ,
oh and one last thing you should do is buy some seafoam...
no question about it, after running the bike through a couple to a few times, your bike will be running better than brand new..