CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

95 CBR 900 RR Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 03:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you found your issue. Here is a pic I just got to take to show where the relay block is or looks like (at least on my bike).

Name:  D334D162-F032-4267-B250-5726FC2BC99B_zps2rxqrbcq.jpg
Views: 4475
Size:  86.0 KB

The bottom relay is mine for the signals...

Last edited by WilliePete; 07-15-2014 at 03:26 PM. Reason: link change and added info.....
Old 07-15-2014, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by ambeos5
Anyone know if the blades needs special coolant or just plain 50/50 mix green stuff??

no special needed.
50/50 is standard.
some like Engine Ice - contains anti-freeze,
or WaterWetter - no anti-freeze, but can mix it w/ anti-freeze if desired.

no freezing temps here so I am running WaterWetter Supercool premix (premixed w/ de-ionized water), supposed to reduce engine temps the most. no digital readout temp gauge so have to hope it works as advertised. anything helps in this heat.

Originally Posted by ambeos5
I tracked down the problem with the turn signals, its the flasher relay is toast. Geez these things are pricey for a relay like 40 new. if anyone has an alternate theory please share.

there is this thread. maybe helpful.
https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-t...s-leds-136704/

which members RoadiJeff and estate4life pointed to here. $8.95
LF1-S-FLAT Universal Motorcycle Electronic Flasher | Flashers & Load Resistors | Car Bulb Installation Supplies | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs | Super Bright LEDs

Last edited by splash; 07-15-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:10 PM

I like what you went with for your headlights. Which bulbs did you go with and where did you get them?

Old 07-16-2014, 02:26 PM
ROTM, Oct 2014
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WilliePete
I like what you went with for your headlights. Which bulbs did you go with and where did you get them?
I got them on ebay they are SOUL LED light here is the link:

80W 6000K White 1200LM High Power Seoul LED 9003 HB2 H4 Headlight Low Beam Lamp | eBay

JC: wonder if that plug on that flasher you linked is the same as the bikes that would be nice

Last edited by ambeos5; 07-16-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:52 PM
ROTM, Oct 2014

Originally Posted by splash
no special needed.
50/50 is standard.
some like Engine Ice - contains anti-freeze,
or WaterWetter - no anti-freeze, but can mix it w/ anti-freeze if desired.

no freezing temps here so I am running WaterWetter Supercool premix (premixed w/ de-ionized water), supposed to reduce engine temps the most. no digital readout temp gauge so have to hope it works as advertised. anything helps in this heat.

there is this thread. maybe helpful.
https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-t...s-leds-136704/

which members RoadiJeff and estate4life pointed to here. $8.95
LF1-S-FLAT Universal Motorcycle Electronic Flasher | Flashers & Load Resistors | Car Bulb Installation Supplies | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs | Super Bright LEDs
Splash: thanks for the link i think i will buy that relay,its way cheaper than oem. sorry i mistakenly said JC linked it but in fact you did

Willie: Mine is identical that FR-3303 turn signal relay is 40 bucks new,ouch

Last edited by ambeos5; 07-16-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:52 PM
ROTM, Oct 2014

well, after reviewing the wiring diagrams that JC sent(Thank you) i have more questions than answers. i have been wiring 12v systems for 20 years and never have a ran into a 3 pin flasher relay. On the harness it plugs into one connection has a ignition power and the other 2 have nothing, i pressume these 2 are the outputs to the signal lights themselfs BUT how does the relay tell which one is on? left or right? there in no continuty between any of the poles or on the harness plug it just doesnt make any sense. So even if i wanted to replace the unit with a non-OEM one i cant i would have to find the two trigger wires and run 2 seperate units one for each side.

Feel free to chime in and school me on this, because im puzzled at the moment.

Edit: so i checked the continuty between the 2 wires on the plug and the signal light wires to the lights, they are without a doubt the wires that goto the lights. But this just re-enforces the lack of understanding of how the flasher unit knows which one to send power to as there is only 3 pins i see of no way for any signals to be split telling the relay left or right.And the systems somehow turns off the running light wire to the front while the signal light is energized, im missing something here a 3 pin relay can not do all of this. In my mind for this setup to work there would have to be 2 interupt circuts(to cut the power to running lights while signaling) and at least one latching relay to split the signal to the flasher unit but i have not found any of this in the bike or in the diagram. so in short im lost at the moment.

Last edited by ambeos5; 07-16-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:48 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

so i did a little digging
check this guy out.. i would offer him 30 bucks..and i bet he'll take it..
95 Honda CBR 900RR VT 302486 Relay Sensor Lot Package | eBay
when putting in the offer, dont let the guy know you need it, just attach a small note saying: hope im not insulting you, but i figured if i could snag a deal then i would buy it!!
something to that effect..
as far as wiring, i'm alittle bit out of my element. short of running down just straight wires i usually try to keep it simple.. i wish i was more helpful..
also if hear nothing but crickets on this particular question, i might head over to fireblades.org or rrzone.com those are two very good resources for quarry searches .
heres a guy who used a two pin instead of a three and figured it out, so theres gotta be a way..2 pin flasher relay on 3 pin bike? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
and heres another guy who switched out his stock relay to a electronic one.im just trying to throw out ideas, so maybe something will stick and solve your problem faster..
How do you install led blinkers on 1996 CBR 900rr?? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
maybe this is why we have a 3pin flasher relay, heres an excerpt from a conversation..
Most honda sport bikes have 3 wire blinkers (one is ground, one is positive for a running light, and the third is to power the blinker)

Most aftermarket blinkers are two wire (just a ground and a power wire)... you will lose your running light capability (unless you set up a relay to cut power to the running light when the blinker relay is powering the light).

Anyway, sounds like you bought a two wire blinker. What it sounds like you did is you powered your blinker with the running light wire instead of the blinker wire... simply switch those for both blinkers and you'll be in business

As far as the cct diagram indicates the indicators have 3 wires because they supply the rear set, that's all.

The relay has a +12v a 0v (ground) and the blinking output, nothing about a running light ?!

Did you buy an electronic relay, not just a normal one?

If you still have the old indicators, connect them in parallel with the new ones, does stuff start flashing then?
Hmmm, mine does... must be a USA bike thing being required to have running lights... for my rear blinkers i have a green ground and a solid light blue and a light blue with a white line on the other side it's a green ground, an orange, and an orange with a white line.

The solid colored wires (blue and orange) are the running light the blue and orange wires with the white lines is the power for the blinker... green is ground.

Anyway, I would do what you said about connecting the old lights up and seeing if they work and then in parallel with the new ones... Good idea

Basically, one side of your LED indicator should be connected to the green wire which is the 0v,ground,earth whatever you call it.

The other side should be connected to BOTH the orange and orange/white wires together if you want to keep the running light function. if you don't , connect it to the solid orange wire only and insulate the Orange/white wire so it doesn't touch anything else as this is constant 12v.

Don't forget LED units are usually polarity sensitive (they can only go one way (unless they have internal circuitry to cope with being connected either way, I dunno)) but if you get them wrong you'll get no light, not a constant light.

When you're sure this is all ok, try again.

If your lights still do not function , try connecting your old blinkers across the new ones, this should prove if it is or isn't a relay problem

Edit: I've just noticed you said you've connected the resistors, where have you connected them? how have you connected them? . If you're using an electronic relay you shouldn't need them.

heres a post from a guy (900rr) who really seems to know the 900's wiring really well, the juicy bits are on page two of the post..
Turn signal issue - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
ok heres a post that you have to read, its a lead on a 12dollar 3pin replacement..
LED flasher relay, new problem!!?? - Honda CBR600 Owners Club
this is a good post and its not long winded and straight to the point..
led turn signal problem - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
now heres a post from the rrzone about wiring and flasher relay problems on a 95 cbr900..
Need some help with wiring rear turn signals and front marker lights>>>
ok last one.. ive given you enough to chew on i hope you dont get annoyed, it just that theres usually tumble weeds in the 900 section these days and i like trying to help out as much as i can..

jay

Last edited by jasonchristopher; 07-17-2014 at 04:51 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:08 PM
ROTM, Oct 2014

JC: you are a man of many resources..lol. Thanks for all the info ill be checking into all of it tonight to see if i can get the problem fixed.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i will say one technical thing about that relay.. if you look at the picture you posted its for all four blinkers controlling 23 watts times four bulbs and if two of those bulbs were switched to LED's then its not getting enough draw to kick on..
i'm guessing thats why most people buy an electronic relay and do away with the old style.
in my particular case on my most recent wiring job, i bought the integrated tail light with the blinkers in them but at the same time i wired in an extra led set on the rear passenger pegs and have run into no problems with my relay..

as far as helping goes: bikers are a good bunch and if i didnt help, someone def would have come along and put you in the right direction.. but glad to be the first ..

Old 07-17-2014, 03:45 PM

Quick Reply: 95 CBR 900 RR Build