CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

1995 CBR 900rr - Idle Problems - with video

Old 06-23-2016, 02:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, now we know its not about old gas, spark plugs or bad carb.

Last thing that comes in my mind is bad ignition coil. I only guess...
I wish I was there to help u 'cause I got many parts like coils, plug cables and etc.

Take a look at my bike when I was connect the plug cables wrong.
View My Video

PS sorry for the bad quality but I hope to hear how its craking and wont crank.
PS2 Sorry for my bad english

Old 06-23-2016, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by turbo rider
hear how its craking and wont crank.
PS2 Sorry for my bad english
Hey Turbo,

I can almost guarantee I have the all the spark plug leads connected correctly, but I will double check. I will check my manual and the web to see if I can test the coils somehow. Though it turned over before with those coils and plug leads, all I did was change the plugs and now she wont even come close to turning over.

Looks I have more searching to do, my brother wants me to take it to a mechanic, but I am still willing to keep trying to fix her myself.

And don't worry about the english, I am just glad some people are willing to help! Thanks!

Old 06-24-2016, 03:18 AM

Here's a part of the manual.

Try with coils and plug cables from other supersport bike. Just to see if the bike fire up. Or if ur not sure and wont waste ur time just pick the Blade to a mechanic.

And dont forget to tell us whats happening if u take it to mechanic.
Cheers, mate !

PS. Check ur fuses... for sure.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by turbo rider
Try with coils and plug cables from other supersport bike
Hey Turbo,

Just checked the coils and spark plugs. Pulled them out and watched for a spark while cranking, all had sparks, so coils, cables and plugs are ok. while I had the plugs out I checked for compression, seems ok if my test was good, here is a video.

drained carb float bowls, they had fuel, so fuel is getting to carb. Carb is also sucking air, so there is air.

compression + spark + fuel/air = start. apparently not

Old 06-24-2016, 01:52 PM

nope thats not properly to check this way compression. Have a special tool for that (Compression Tester: Other Diagnostic Service Tools | eBay)
idk what advice to give to u mate...
were the plugs wet when u get them out ?if they arent try to put little bit gas in every cylinder, mount the plugs and everything and try to start it...

Is it trying to start ? Is it still craking ?

Old 06-24-2016, 09:40 PM

[QUOTE=turbo rider;1296141if they arent try to put little bit gas in every cylinder, mount the plugs and everything and try to start it...

Is it trying to start ? Is it still craking ?[/QUOTE]

Hey man,

So everything seems to be working on its own, but not together.

Plugs are sparking.
Fuel is pumping.
At least some compression.

I put some fuel in the cylinders from the spark plugs holes, and tried to start her. It initially sounded like it wanted to go but quickly went back to pretty much just cranking.

Emptied the carb bowls again, there was fuel in them.

At a loss, something more serious must be wrong. I'm gonna go buy some quick start tomorrow and see if that gets her going, though it wont solve the deeper issue, it might just give me some clues if I do get her going.

Again thanks for the support dude!

Old 06-24-2016, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

I do believe that your carbs are not correct. They either are not as clean as you believe them to be or they.are not dialed in properly.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:51 AM

I really think that the gas should be changed. If it runs sometimes, but not other times, that seems to be an intermittent problem or a problem that is conditional.
Bad gas fires up conditionally. A bad spark plug will consistently be bad (for the most part).
If it was wired wrong, then it wouldn't be a conditional thing.
Gas though, that may need to at a certain temperature to fire up (may not work so well when cold etc).

Never mind that you put fuel additive in it, it will only cost you a dollar's worth to give this a try and it is relatively easy to do. You seem to be willing.

I've maintained a CBR Nine since 1995, so that is a lot of winters and storing and getting back to running condition.

I won't argue my point any further.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Mawad
I really think that the gas should be changed.
Hey Tony,

I put some new fuel in yesterday, and she would only crank. I tried again today while spraying some carb cleaner in the carb air intakes and she sputtered and came alive for about 10 seconds, and only with the choke fully engaged. I tried to get her going again with a combination of carb cleaner and choke, but no dice.

new plugs,
new gas,
new battery,
good coils,
clean carb.

What else can I try??
Thanks for the support Tony!

Old 06-25-2016, 12:54 PM

Oh, and do you think a change in fuel quality could be a source of my problems. I am currently using 87 octane, maybe the previous owner used a higher octane and the change fussed things up. Just a thought

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1995 CBR 900rr - Idle Problems - with video