Trouble with hands falling asleep

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 08:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble with hands falling asleep

Hey folks, does anyone have any issues with their hands going numb??
After riding for about 20 minutes or so my hands fall asleep no matter how much I shake them, I was just wondering if anyone else has this issue?
I was thinking of installing some bar risers but don't know if they even sell such a thing for a cbr. Need help, I love the bike, it's super fast and everything but with this issue happening, I'm thinking of selling the old girl.
Would love to hear any suggestions.
Thanks, Den

Old 06-23-2016, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Hey man,
Most people do experience what you are describing. But I will say that 20 minutes is a lot faster than I've ever experienced. For me, it usually takes 2-3 hours.
They do sell risers. There are tons of threads on here where people of done different things to accomplish that.
Also, you may want to insure your bar weights are tight, or there at all. This has a huge impact on bar vibration.
Good luck.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:51 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Lots of things can cause this. I don't know how you ride, so I can only assume that your riding position needs tweaking.

Keep your elbows bent. This will force you to use your core and not your wrists to hold your body up.

Don't bend your wrists. Keep them straight. Bending them cuts off circulation. These bikes are set up to be in a full race tuck with forearms horizontal and wrists straight and loose. An unpractical position for everyday street riding I know...

Loosen your grip. Relax, don't hold on for dear life.

Ride twisty roads. Moving your body around to do frequent turns keeps you moving around. Long straight roads promotes sitting still, and square tires. Sit still in one place long enough, and parts will go numb....

Finally, see a doctor. Carpal tunnel syndrome is common. Most people have it to some degree, but choose to ignore it unless it gets unbearable. The fix is surgery. You can google it for more info, but basically the tube that your nerves run in gets collapsed when you bend your wrists. Try bending your wrists 90 degrees for a few minutes. If your hands go numb, you have it.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I concur

Old 06-23-2016, 10:53 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 74demon
Finally, see a doctor. Carpal tunnel syndrome is common. Most people have it to some degree, but choose to ignore it unless it gets unbearable. The fix is surgery. You can google it for more info, but basically the tube that your nerves run in gets collapsed when you bend your wrists. Try bending your wrists 90 degrees for a few minutes. If your hands go numb, you have it.

I'd say also, go see a chiropractor. I was having issues with my toes going numb - 20 min or so into a ride - and a few trips to the chiropractor fixed it.

Also had issues with my hands that were also fixed by him. I'm not going to say every issue can be fixed by a chiropractor, but a lot of them can be. It depends on what you do for work - but that was (and is) the root of my problem.

You can look up lsl superbike kits. I think that's what you're looking for.
https://spieglerusa.com/controls/han...onversion.html

Old 06-23-2016, 04:09 PM

Thanks for the help, I will definitely check out all of these suggestions.
Muchly appreciated.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:21 AM

Maybe try these. Stupid name, great product.

Vibranator.com

Old 07-18-2016, 12:46 PM

Suggestions:
1. Breathe more while riding. Sounds weird but it helps. Breathe deeply and slowly, in through your nose and out the mouth. It oxygenates the blood reducing fatigue.

2. Use you legs and tank for core support. Its easy to say "don't put pressure on your hands" but nobody tells you how. On straights squeeze the tank with your legs , which holds you up using your abdominals. In corners, consciously put your outside knee on the tank and support your weight between your inside knee (bent in a lunge), and your outside knee that is pressed into the tank.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:03 AM

Just like knee aids when riding a horse

Old 07-26-2016, 06:11 AM

Actually after fully reading 74 demon 's input he is spot on. It's all to easy for some riders to grip like there is no tomorrow but find that what I call neutral buoyancy on a bike. Let go of the handle bars without letting go of them if that makes sense.

Get on a d read a couple of good write ups or books or watch the videos " twist of the wrist" and " twist of the wrist 2"

Californian super bike school teach pretty much what are in these books or videos as I think the original writer set up the school

Some good pointers for riders young and old in them.

I watched a Japanese short circuit police testing practice and was nothing short of amazed at their handling abilities of little blokes on big bikes around tight circuits at speed