Shock Measurements - HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shock Measurements - HELP!!

Last edited by DrAwkwArD; 06-02-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by DrAwkwArD
I'm looking to swap the garbage shock that is on the 99 F4 I just picked up with one from an 07-09 (not sure about 10) 600RR. It seems 03-06 had a different bottom mount that won't work with the 99 F4.

Here are the measurements I need if anyone could be so kind to take a few minutes:

- Shock length from mount to mount (eye to eye)
- Bottom mount width (actual width of the bottom mount on the face without the bolt hole)
- Top mount width (same as above)
- Distance from shock center to end of resi.

Any help would be appreciated....even a drawing of the shock from a book or something like a diagram would help.

Thanks!!!
Dude if your trying to put the rear spring from a 06 600rr into a 99F4 I don't think that will fit your motorcycle.... the springs are completely different

Old 03-02-2011, 11:01 AM

Yep..............

Thanks though
You're gonna need to modify the shock mounts, or do a swingarm conversion so the bottom half of your bike and your shock mount are correct for one another. You should just have your stock one rebuilt, or find a good aftermarket one for your bike. It's going to be less unnecessary work if you just stick to the OEM shape for your shock mount.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:03 AM

And, not a lot of people are going to measure their shocks for you. Just look at the two, they're not even remotely the same. Good luck kid.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:10 PM

Did you just try to pick a fight on a forum?

If you know all the answers, go do it punkass.

ALL of you parking lot queens? Good attitude to have towards the people that should want to help a fellow "motorcyclist."

Douchebag.

Good luck

Old 03-02-2011, 05:18 PM

PS- it's not thinking outside the box if somebody already did it. And made a youtube video out of it.

It looks like he's got it down. Watch the video, and do it. It seems like a lot of work for not a whole lot of progress in suspension.

And I'm not a parking lot queen, pumpkin.

Last edited by Junior2552; 03-02-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:49 PM

Ahh, you edited your response when I was typing.

It's literally almost NO work to do the conversion. If it bolts up it's a matter of twisting a wrench.

With the bike already down to its bones, picking up a shock for under $40 and updating a 12 year old system is the best bang for the buck. The F4's rear is outdated and to think that it's not progressed a lot in what, 9 or so years from when the RR has come out is bull****.

And I didn't ask for your faulty opinion...I kindly asked for some measurements. So again, if you don't have them, why are you still posting useless information and bad opinions?

EDIT: And if it's still too soft in the rear after the update, all I would need to do is respring since the valving is updated to at least 2008 standards. It saves money AND time. A full respring and revalve could cost over $300 on that old shock and it STILL may not be as good as a stock 600rr shock. I can get an almost brand new 600RR shock for under $40 and have it resprung for around $120.....MUCH cheaper solution. But really, I don't know why I'm even explaining myself to you.
So if you have it all figured out. Like I said. Go do it.

Nobody is going to have those measurements. Why don't you ask somebody on ebay to measure it for you. Just order it and make it fit.

Don't be a dbag dude. You've been on the forum for three weeks, don't act like that. I'm responding because my email tells me when the thread is responded too. So, if you're bike is torn apart, go do it.

More power to you. Pictures when you're done.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:39 PM

The F4's rear is outdated and to think that it's not progressed a lot in what, 9 or so years from when the RR has come out is bull****.
Its not really bull****. F4 vs RR shock has no gigantic differences that anyone but a professional would notice. Are you racing? If not, you wont even use the full potential of the F4 shock on the street. If you are racing, why not just get a GOOD shock, not some weird 600rr shock swap.

Are the 2 shocks identical in length? F4 swing arm/shock/linkage has a far different geometry than the RR. Just bolting one on without completely modifying the whole rear can screw up your handling if they aren't = length.

Last edited by Dissevered; 03-02-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:29 AM

Oh it's no problem boss. Just be more informative next time? We get a lot of new kids trying to do the "newest swap" on all their stuff, and it gets obnoxious. Had you told me you were tracking her and needed to REALLY upgrade the suspension, I would have walked outside and measured my stuff for ya, haha.

I still vote to upgrade to something else, but I realize money is an issue. Welcome to America. So, if you think you can make the RR swap work, go for it. But if it seems like it might pose an issue, I would just save for a little longer and get an aftermarket upgrade. If I see my bike tonight I'll go out and look at it for you.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dissevered
Are the 2 shocks identical in length? F4 swing arm/shock/linkage has a far different geometry than the RR. Just bolting one on without completely modifying the whole rear can screw up your handling if they aren't = length.
^^ True story though.

Quick Reply: Shock Measurements - HELP!!